[bolger] Re: Oldshoe

  • carterk@colubs.com
    Message 1 of 75 , Dec 3, 1999
      Oldshoe.txt in the vault just comes up as nonsense characters for me.
    • phil.bolger
      Message 75 of 75 , Oct 26, 2017
        And looking at another time-zone map, Chile is actually exactly on Eastern Standard Time (E.S.T.) ‘East-Coast Time’, as is Gloucester, MA.

        Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 10:03 PM
        Subject: Re: [bolger] Oldshoe

        ... look BEST... Almost made it through without much of a typo...

        Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:52 PM

        From here in Gloucester, thanks you all for this ‘Olde Timey’ discussion on little old OLD SHOE no less.
        Who says YAHOO GROUPS is ‘dead’ ?!
        Not just because we are coming up on Halloween and all, this ‘Living Dead’ YAHOO GROUP reality here suits me just fine, seems full of enough life, judging by the spirit and caliber of the discussion.

        As for so many years before, sooner or later, solid perspectives emerge and do add up, especially, as here, when some come from those familiar with the original configuration of the given design up for discussion – here Design #449 OLD SHOE.
        Good, for instance, to read David Cobb’s experience aboard sailing his around in ‘The Other Down-Under’ – Chile that is.

        (From Gloucester, MA, Australia is 9-10 time-zones and about 10,000 miles away, with Chile apparently 1 hour ahead and 5200 miles away; at least I could attempt to take the car to Santiago de Chile... and way further south yet, to end up closer to the South Pole than any place in Australia.
        GOOGLE EARTH offers plenty of gratifications, as Phil enjoyed a lot, having been a member of the National Geographic Society and ‘Map-Freak’ since the mid-30s.)

        Reading the exchanges, it seems to me that – or I missed it somehow – that the long sloping leading-edge of the keel has not been looked at yet.
        Fairing of the wider keel into the rudder has seen proper focus already.
        But, if the Leading Edge up-front is much broader than intended, and then totally alu-welding correct ‘square’, then the keel behind it would be badly compromised in its function all the way aft to the rudder.

        A reasonably ‘doable’ option would be to through-bolt a half-round addition out of, say, initially just pressure-treated lumber, cut, stacked, bolted-together and faired for a removable ‘test’-addition.
        If she is really this blunt up-front, then this should really help her.
        Once this assumption is indeed confirmed under sail and power, making a copy out of bent alu-(half-)pipe(s) for a permanent installation would seem called for.
        I’d be tempted to make that addition ‘dry’, as in permanently enclosed via solid welded caps.

        On the trolling-motor propulsion-option to make the batteries in the wider keel do double-duty - as no doubt intended by the builder - then our Electric Launch LILY (Design #627) may offer some insights.
        On 15’4” overall length, her waterline is some 14.5’ long by 4’4” wide and did reach 3.8 knots with the low-pitch 11”x4” weed-less plastic prop on the 65 lbs-rated MINNKOTA.
        She carries 6x 12V Sched. 27 mild ‘deep-cycle’ batteries for 7-8 hrs of running with 4 adults aboard before the batteries get too discharged for long-term health.
        OLD SHOE is 5’ wide and shorter and thus has more drag, but could still match LILY’s prop-pitch-limited speed in a calm, assuming a healthy trolling-motor.
        Down-wind more without the drag of her masts – but then you would be sailing anyway.
        Seems like you have decent ‘Get-Home’-Power aboard her now – apart from sweeps that is...

        Good luck, Buddy, on getting her fine-tuned to make her and you look the nest.
        Feel free to share pictures of her as is with this office here at philbolger@....

        ”YAHOO GROUP... it’s alive, alive...”
        Alright, I’ll wind down now.. hanging upside-down from the rafters... or not.
        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

        Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:19 PM

        Is there a screw on the housing looking like it has no function?

        IFIRC the safety wire keeps the housing or external parts that might be touched at the same potential (voltage). If internal hot wires should contact the housing, the current will short through the safety green instead of some poor soul holding on to the device. In a very simple system (one battery, no AC around) green and could be tied together, preferably at the battery.

        Good luck

        Andrew

        Sent from Outlook