[bolger] Epoxy in the house.

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 1999
      FBBB--

      I've been riding, (and repairing,) epoxy laminated surfboards for a
      couple of years. Ding repair consists of mixing a little powdered
      glass (outside) with some five minute epoxy, and then bringing the
      goop into the kitchen and then slathering it into the board. Fumes
      have never been a problem doing such small scale repairs.

      Epoxy safety literature emphasizes contact, but doesn't say anything
      about respirators. One place shows a line drawing of a guy wearing a
      dust mask, presumably for sanding.

      Am I going to drive my wife and child from the house if I glue up my
      bulkheads and spars in the house, or worse, cause dain bramage?

      YIBB,

      David Ryan
      Minister of Information and Culture
      Crumbling Empire Productions
      (212) 247-0296
    • Robert N. Lundy
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 1999
        The bottle label on my FGCI Epoxy indicates good ventilation is required. When
        I glassed my bottom last weekend, I did it in the garage without a fan running
        (but with the garage door open) and still managed to notice quite a buildup of
        odor. I don't think this had any particular effect on me.

        After finishing, I closed the garage door; When i walked back out after two
        hours, the odor was very strong. Definitely stronger than I would want in my
        house.

        A few thoughts:

        1. On rec.boats.building there is a rather long thread (recent) about how guys
        in cold areas cure epoxy during winter. some of the techniques are pretty
        creative.
        2. Have you checked out any of the cold weather epoxies? Some of these state
        that they'll cure down to 32 degrees. A tarp shed with a space heater should
        be able to be kept at 32 degrees. MAS, FGCI, and I beleive RAKA all make cold
        cure epoxies and probably others as well.

        Robert Lundy

        Quoting David Ryan <david@...>:

        > FBBB--
        >
        > I've been riding, (and repairing,) epoxy laminated surfboards for a
        > couple of years. Ding repair consists of mixing a little powdered
        > glass (outside) with some five minute epoxy, and then bringing the
        > goop into the kitchen and then slathering it into the board. Fumes
        > have never been a problem doing such small scale repairs.
        >
        > Epoxy safety literature emphasizes contact, but doesn't say anything
        > about respirators. One place shows a line drawing of a guy wearing a
        > dust mask, presumably for sanding.
        >
        > Am I going to drive my wife and child from the house if I glue up my
        > bulkheads and spars in the house, or worse, cause dain bramage?
        >
        > YIBB,
        >

        > David Ryan
        > Minister of Information and Culture
        > Crumbling Empire Productions
        > (212) 247-0296

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=bolger&m=1

        Robert N. Lundy
        St. Petersburg, Fla.

        This mail sent through Atlantic.Net Webmail: http://webmail.atlantic.net/
      • Derek Waters
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 1999
          Hi David

          You might check out System 3's stuff, if you can get it - I'm building my
          pre-Micro Nymph in a studio apartment, and have been really pleased at the
          low odour levels (from the epoxy :)

          Derek