[bolger] Re: Sharpshooter

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 1999

      > Might have misunderstood, but my reading of Bolger's Sharpshooter essay
      > was that it wasn't so much the physical boat (and its cog) which went up
      > a wattle, but that the original design encouraged all aboard to =stand
      > up= which raised the overall cog to unsafe heights.
      >
      > This surely would remain a danger in any re-addition of superstructure
      > onto a sharpshooter hull?
      >
      > Tim & Flying Tadpole

      Tim:

      I stand corrected. You are right about the original Sharpshooter. The one
      I am considering will have a low superstructure, and low (9.9 hp) power
      motor, and will be used in protected water. The idea is a little brother to
      Tennessee.

      Chuck
    • smallboatexplorer
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 13

        In case anyone is interested:

        I donated my Sharpshooter to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum and they have it posted for sale.  I'd not been able to use it for years, so this made sense.

        This is the original Sharpshooter, designed by Phil and built by Burge Whiteside.  The transom needs some fresh wood--not the whole thing, but perhaps  a 2" x 8" x 6' piece of some suitable wood. The freeing ports seem to have drained into the wood, instead of overside.  No doubt a caulking issue. The boat could be used as is, but I'd want to fix it.  It could also use paint.

        It sits on a nice Trailex aluminum trailer.

        Bob

      • smallboatexplorer
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 13
          Here is the web link:

          Flat bottom Plywood Skiff #2254 |

        • BruceHallman
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 13
            Sharpshooter has long been one of my favorite designs!  Your build of it looks very nice too.  $995 is a give away price.

            On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 7:32 AM, cavenaghr@... [bolger] <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Here is the web link:

            Flat bottom Plywood Skiff #2254 |
            Flat bottom Plywood Skiff #2254 |
                Click on images to enlarge   2254 Very neat flat bottom plywood skiff. Professionally built Bolger design Sharpshooter Skiff.23’LOA 5’7″ Beam. ...
            Preview by Yahoo