[bolger] Re: Glue

  • Leander Harding
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 1999
      I haven't tried the 5200. I did try another 3M product I am not sure of
      the # but it was recommended for seating hardware that might have to be
      removed. It came in a caulk tube and in a small toothpaste tube. I
      bought the toothpaste tube for installing the block of teak that held
      the cam cleat for the leeboard on our Sea Pearl. I did find it had a
      strong chemical smell like a very strong oil based primer. Years ago I
      used a product called LifeCaulk that I found had a strong odor.

      I looked at the 5200 both regular and fast cure at our local West
      Marine and got scared by the dire warnings about smelling the fumes on
      the label. Based on Gregg's recommendation I am going to try it,
      probably on the gunwales of aft hull of the Folding Schooner.West
      Marine also has a store brand that seems the same ingredients as the
      regular 5200 for about $2 less a tube.

      I think chemical sensitivity varies tremendously by individual. I have
      a hard time staying in a store like West Marine for very long because
      the vinyl smell bothers me so much.

      I am very interested in hearing about glues and paints that are
      effective and have low vocs.

      Leander

      ghc <ghart-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1009
      > 5200 is odorless and seemingly benign, very tough, though slow-curing
      > (there is a fast cure also).
      >
      > GHC
      >
      > At 06:43 AM 11/30/1999 -0800, you wrote:
      > >Dear Mike,
      > > I am sensitive to most chemicals. Haven't gotten alergic to epoxy
      yet
      > >but developed a skin rash from using the PL Foaming Glue. My Gypsy
      mast
      > >was made with Weldwood and is nine years old and going strong. The
      > >marine caulk type products are pretty oderiforous in my experience
      and
      > >based on my experience with the Polyurethane glue I am staying away
      > >from them. I am going to use Titebond II, a weatherproof carpenters
      > >glue and plenty of screws on the gunwales of the Folding Schooner.
      > >Epoxy on the chines. Weldwood is probably fine for a boat that
      doesn't
      > >live in the water. There is an outfit in WoodenBoat that advertises
      > >alternatives to epoxy but I think you have to buy in relatively large
      > >quantities. Resourcinol is also an option. Good Luck.
      > >
      > >Leander
      > >

      > >teakdec-@... wrote:
      > >

      > >original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1004
      > >> Hello fellow boat builders,
      > >>
      > >> I am allergic to epoxy. Just being in the same garage with the
      stuff
      > >makes my
      > >> face turn red and puffy. So I have used mostly weldwood, but I'm
      > >curious
      > >> about the "new" glues on the market. The PL ???? and 3M5200?
      > >>
      > >> I have some work to do on my Windsprint mast partners.
      Specifically,
      > >I need
      > >> to glue down to the hull bottom a customized block of wood on short
      > >legs with
      > >> a hole in it for the mast. What glue would you recommend?
      > >>
      > >> Mike Masten

    • Fritz Funk
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 1999
        > I am very interested in hearing about glues and paints that are
        > effective and have low vocs.

        The Gorilla brand of foaming polyurethane touts itself as very low in
        solvents - they make a big deal of it in their advertising, e.g.
        http://www.gorillaglue.com/faq.html
        They say it is "100% solvent free" and odorless, and can be used on
        food preparation surfaces.
        Other polyurethanes have label warnings about solvents, and I think
        they are different in that regard. I've noticed some very minor odors
        with other polyurethanes (like PL), but not with Gorilla.
        My only bone of contention with Gorilla is the price!
        At any rate, I'm interested in using this stuff more around kids, so
        I'd be curious to hear if a solvent-sensitive person can handle being
        around the Gorilla brand, vs the other polyurethane brands like PL.
        That sensitivity certainly gives you an extra challenge to overcome in
        boatbuilding!

        --Fritz