[bolger] Re: LS spars

  • John Bell
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 1999
      Laminating from smaller pieces a good way to reduce the chances of warping.
      It should be cheaper too.

      John Bell
      Kennesaw, GA
      jmbell@...
      http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 1999
        david ryan <davi-@...> wrote:

        <snip>
        > Payson calls for a pair of 16 foot 2x4's to make the masts. Is there
        > any reason a single 4x4 wouldn't do the trick?

        You'll be lucky to find nice 2x4's anymore. Home Depot ain't got em for
        years now, and once you get the Orange places the rest run ascared.

        Last mast I built I had to use 2 2x6's just to get enough nice stock in
        the center to build a 3 1/4 inch (I think) mast. One huge advantage
        going this way is you can slather up the boards with construction grade
        glue (like Elmer's orange stuff) and drive sheet rock screws in it
        instead of all those C clamps you still dream of owning. Wait a week,
        pull the screws and cut off anything that isn't mast.

        I've done the final shaping with nothing but a circular saw (8-sided
        it) and a block plane. Took 2 hours. Had it taken 3 hours, I would have
        had to stop, as the plane was HOT in my hand fromt he friction.
      • Samson family
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 1999
          Bolger is usually pretty conservative in his spar design - by that I mean
          that he doesn't take chances by designing them too skinny. The reasoning is
          that most guys will NOT have access to old-growth Sitka spruce or the like.
          So his masts (certainly in his more recent designs) are designed to be made
          from stuff you can get at the local lumber yard. Of course you should avoid
          stuff with huge knots in it, but little ones are OK. Lengthways splits in
          the wood also do little harm - The glue will fill them up anyway.

          I made the mast of my Chebacco out of reclaimed timber from floor joists -
          two at 2.5"x5" and glued them together (epoxy). Despite the fact that there
          are a few knots in the wood, and nail holes filled with thickened epoxy, it
          has held up well over the past 4 years, with never a sign of failure.

          The only danger, as far as I can see, is to inadvertently make the mast
          skinnier than the dimensions on the drawings - easily done with power planes
          and the like. If anything, leave it a whisker thicker than on the plans and
          you should have no worries.

          Bill
          -- bill.samson@...

          Chebacco News can be viewed on: