[bolger] LS spars

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 1999
      FBBB --

      No matter how many times I measure my house, I can't figure out a way
      to get a LS hull outside without taking down a wall. Since this seems
      like an even worse idea than make her cockpits self-draining, it
      doesn't look like I'll be able to do much more with the hull until
      the weather warms up.

      So it's on to the spars.

      Payson calls for a pair of 16 foot 2x4's to make the masts. Is there
      any reason a single 4x4 wouldn't do the trick?

      YIBB,

      David Ryan
      Minister of Information and Culture
      Crumbling Empire Productions
      (212) 247-0296
    • John Bell
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 1999
        Laminating from smaller pieces a good way to reduce the chances of warping.
        It should be cheaper too.

        John Bell
        Kennesaw, GA
        jmbell@...
        http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com

        > No matter how many times I measure my house, I can't figure out a way
        > to get a LS hull outside without taking down a wall. Since this seems
        > like an even worse idea than make her cockpits self-draining, it
        > doesn't look like I'll be able to do much more with the hull until
        > the weather warms up.
        >
        > So it's on to the spars.
        >
        > Payson calls for a pair of 16 foot 2x4's to make the masts. Is there
        > any reason a single 4x4 wouldn't do the trick?
        >
        > YIBB,
        >
        > David Ryan
        > Minister of Information and Culture
        > Crumbling Empire Productions
        > (212) 247-0296

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=bolger&m=1

      • Ernie Murphy
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 1999
          david ryan <davi-@...> wrote:

          <snip>
          > Payson calls for a pair of 16 foot 2x4's to make the masts. Is there
          > any reason a single 4x4 wouldn't do the trick?

          You'll be lucky to find nice 2x4's anymore. Home Depot ain't got em for
          years now, and once you get the Orange places the rest run ascared.

          Last mast I built I had to use 2 2x6's just to get enough nice stock in
          the center to build a 3 1/4 inch (I think) mast. One huge advantage
          going this way is you can slather up the boards with construction grade
          glue (like Elmer's orange stuff) and drive sheet rock screws in it
          instead of all those C clamps you still dream of owning. Wait a week,
          pull the screws and cut off anything that isn't mast.

          I've done the final shaping with nothing but a circular saw (8-sided
          it) and a block plane. Took 2 hours. Had it taken 3 hours, I would have
          had to stop, as the plane was HOT in my hand fromt he friction.
        • Samson family
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 1999
            Bolger is usually pretty conservative in his spar design - by that I mean
            that he doesn't take chances by designing them too skinny. The reasoning is
            that most guys will NOT have access to old-growth Sitka spruce or the like.
            So his masts (certainly in his more recent designs) are designed to be made
            from stuff you can get at the local lumber yard. Of course you should avoid
            stuff with huge knots in it, but little ones are OK. Lengthways splits in
            the wood also do little harm - The glue will fill them up anyway.

            I made the mast of my Chebacco out of reclaimed timber from floor joists -
            two at 2.5"x5" and glued them together (epoxy). Despite the fact that there
            are a few knots in the wood, and nail holes filled with thickened epoxy, it
            has held up well over the past 4 years, with never a sign of failure.

            The only danger, as far as I can see, is to inadvertently make the mast
            skinnier than the dimensions on the drawings - easily done with power planes
            and the like. If anything, leave it a whisker thicker than on the plans and
            you should have no worries.

            Bill
            -- bill.samson@...

            Chebacco News can be viewed on:
            http://members.xoom.com/billsamson

          • tjfatchen@ace.net.au
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2000
              BO>David Ryan wrote re LS
              BO>Payson calls for a pair of 16 foot 2x4's to make the masts. Is there
              BO>any reason a single 4x4 wouldn't do the trick?

              No, provided the 4x4 is flawless. If it isn't. cut it into 2x4 and
              laminate :). See http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/build.htm and click on
              "sourcing timber"

              Tim & FT2