Re: let's burn ALL the light scooners

  • Ross
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2001
      --- In bolger@y..., macinkos@m... wrote:
      > Wow. I've thought of lots of things to do with Bolger boats, never
      > thought of burning one though:
      >
      > Check out the fate of Jim Evan's scooner at:
      >
      > http://cowlove.com/allison/
      >
      > Come to think of it, it seems like Gregg Carlson and David Ryan
      have
      > been pretty quiet in the building dept. lately. C'mon guys, follow
      > Jim's lead and you'll have the inspiration (and room in the yard)
      for
      > your next project. And what about Fatchen down under?
      >

      > Seth Macinko (who is wondering who's bringing matches to the Lake
      > Champlain gig?)
    • Ross
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2001
        --- In bolger@y..., "Ross" <pannkake@h...> wrote:
        > --- In bolger@y..., macinkos@m... wrote:
        > > Wow. I've thought of lots of things to do with Bolger boats,
        never
        > > thought of burning one though:
        > >
        > > Check out the fate of Jim Evan's scooner at:
        > >
        > > http://cowlove.com/allison/

        sorry, I meant to write:

        Jim burned Allison Might because she had suffered rot in the bottom
        and centerboard trunk. It looked difficult to repair. In addition,
        she wasn't used very often because she couldn't be sailed single
        handed, and because of the time it took to rig her. Jim decided this
        would be a better ending than letting her slowly rot away in his yard.

        Jim saved the sails, pulled the bowsprit out of the flames just in
        time to save it, and raked the bronze fittings from the ashes the
        next morning.

        Ross
        (who's not a regular reader of this board, but dreams of building a
        Marth Jane and sailing her to Alaska)
      • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 3, 2001
          Ross,
          I guess there is some truth to the saying"it is always darkest just
          before sunrise".Thanks for shedding light on the real reason for Jim
          Evans' schooner burning stunt.
          In retrospect,it now makes my previous post addressing the burning
          seem way too harsh on Jim Evan.Know any tricks for realing back in
          aspersions cast about too quickly?
          Sincerely,
          Peter Lenihan........

        • pvanderw@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2001
            > Know any tricks for realing back in
            > aspersions cast about too quickly?

            A group member can delete his own messages from the web message
            board. That doesn't recall them from the folks who subscribe to e-
            mail of course.

            I find my most accurate proof-reading is done between clicking
            on 'send' and having the copy disappear from the screen.

            Peter