Re: Trouble Brewing in the N.E.

  • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
      David Ryan,
      I'm not too obsessive about the weather(just the seasons,and I'm
      in the wrong one right now!) but always intrigued by BIG
      climatological happenings!My favorite one is a blizzard and the
      bigger they are the better.....a childhood addiction of sorts that
      somehow no longer fits too well with the needs of my favorite hobby.
      The maps sure appear to show something potentially very
      interesting coming up your way!Wish I could be there to see the fury.
      And speaking of furies,you wouldn't happen to know of a site that has
      down-loadable,archived weather maps?In particular,the period from
      October 26,1998 to November 14,1998.Any help in this direction would
      be much appreciated!
      As we say up here,when the wind pipes up,"attache ta tuque"!
      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan,on the shores of the St.Lawrence.........

    • pvanderw@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
        > I my experience, you can make book on these charts for anything out
        > to 72 hours. Beyond that they defiantly have a certain "boy who
        cried
        > wolf" factor.

        Yesterday, I looked at the forecast in the NY Times. It said today
        would be clear and sunny. In fact, it snowed until noon and was
        cloudy for the rest of the day.

        I agree on the 72 hour rule. They often the the 'what' right, but
        the 'when' wrong.

        Peter
      • David Ryan
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
          >> I my experience, you can make book on these charts for anything out
          >> to 72 hours. Beyond that they defiantly have a certain "boy who
          >cried
          >> wolf" factor.
          >
          >Yesterday, I looked at the forecast in the NY Times. It said today
          >would be clear and sunny. In fact, it snowed until noon and was
          >cloudy for the rest of the day.
          >
          >I agree on the 72 hour rule. They often the the 'what' right, but
          >the 'when' wrong.

          Trying to surf the east coast will turn you into an amateur
          meteorologist even faster than it will sent you to the looney bin.

          In my experience, they've got a pretty good 72 hour line on the
          winter weather pattern. If it's Monday and I see what looks to be a
          solid swell setting up for Thursday, consider me booked.

          OTOH: A hurricane anywhere in the Atlantic basin and they can't get a
          solid forecast out 24 hours.

          YIWW,

          CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
          134 West 26th St. 12th Floor