Re: Trouble Brewing in the N.E.

  • djost@ma.ultranet.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
      NOAA Weather in Boston has not posted anything as of yet 2:00 EST.
      But, that is an impressive graphic! I better work on the boat
      tomorrow then!

      > Nor'Easter shaping up about 3-4 days out.
      >
      > For a 12 hour play by play check out:
      >
      > http://152.80.49.210/PUBLIC/WAM/all_natl.html
      >
      > Not the most efficiently designed page, but let it load. You'll get a
      > great look at two lows merging off the Carolina and going big time as
      > the head up the coast. Looks like Tuesday or Wednesday would be a
      > good day for a high speed sled ride up L.I. Sound!
      >
      > YIBB (and weather watching)
      >
      > David
      >

      > CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
      > 134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
      > New York, New York 10001
      > http://www.crumblingempire.com
      > (212) 247-0296
    • Stan Muller
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
        David,
        Wow, that sure makes a guy feel good that he isn't trying to cross
        the pond at the moment.
        Stan, Snow Goose
      • David Ryan
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
          >David,
          > Wow, that sure makes a guy feel good that he isn't trying to cross
          >the pond at the moment.
          >Stan, Snow Goose

          One thing to keep in mind is that prudence dictates they show the
          worst likely scenario. Ships use these graphics to make navigational
          decisions; too conservative and time is lost, too lax and lives may
          be.

          I my experience, you can make book on these charts for anything out
          to 72 hours. Beyond that they defiantly have a certain "boy who cried
          wolf" factor. I've cancelled more than one meeting on the basis of a
          big red spot out 108 hours, only to have it fizzle out.

          However, this one in particular looks like it's for real. It's the
          biggest storm forecast I've seen all Winter, and all the elements
          look like they're in place. With any luck, Turtle Cove (just west of
          the Montauk Lighthouse,) will be head high or better with offshore
          winds!

          YIBB,

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
            I just read the NOAA 60-70 hour forecast for the mid-atlantic and they
            are predicting a storm on the magnitude of the Januarry 1966 one, or
            close to the Feb 1978 storm! That is an impressive analogy.
            It is still a good 12 hours out from the grocery run, but this
            time I'm getting my supplies in advance! I can't stand it when I run
            out of Epoxy in the middle of a snowstorm and the stores are all sold
            out.
            BTW, check out the price on East System Epoxy from Noah's
            boatbuilders supply in Buffalo New York. They should be the official
            Bolger boat supplier!

            David Jost
            "on the way to get batteries, sterno, and spam"

          • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
              David Ryan,
              I'm not too obsessive about the weather(just the seasons,and I'm
              in the wrong one right now!) but always intrigued by BIG
              climatological happenings!My favorite one is a blizzard and the
              bigger they are the better.....a childhood addiction of sorts that
              somehow no longer fits too well with the needs of my favorite hobby.
              The maps sure appear to show something potentially very
              interesting coming up your way!Wish I could be there to see the fury.
              And speaking of furies,you wouldn't happen to know of a site that has
              down-loadable,archived weather maps?In particular,the period from
              October 26,1998 to November 14,1998.Any help in this direction would
              be much appreciated!
              As we say up here,when the wind pipes up,"attache ta tuque"!
              Sincerely,
              Peter Lenihan,on the shores of the St.Lawrence.........

            • pvanderw@optonline.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
                > I my experience, you can make book on these charts for anything out
                > to 72 hours. Beyond that they defiantly have a certain "boy who
                cried
                > wolf" factor.

                Yesterday, I looked at the forecast in the NY Times. It said today
                would be clear and sunny. In fact, it snowed until noon and was
                cloudy for the rest of the day.

                I agree on the 72 hour rule. They often the the 'what' right, but
                the 'when' wrong.

                Peter
              • David Ryan
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
                  >> I my experience, you can make book on these charts for anything out
                  >> to 72 hours. Beyond that they defiantly have a certain "boy who
                  >cried
                  >> wolf" factor.
                  >
                  >Yesterday, I looked at the forecast in the NY Times. It said today
                  >would be clear and sunny. In fact, it snowed until noon and was
                  >cloudy for the rest of the day.
                  >
                  >I agree on the 72 hour rule. They often the the 'what' right, but
                  >the 'when' wrong.

                  Trying to surf the east coast will turn you into an amateur
                  meteorologist even faster than it will sent you to the looney bin.

                  In my experience, they've got a pretty good 72 hour line on the
                  winter weather pattern. If it's Monday and I see what looks to be a
                  solid swell setting up for Thursday, consider me booked.

                  OTOH: A hurricane anywhere in the Atlantic basin and they can't get a
                  solid forecast out 24 hours.

                  YIWW,