Re: [bolger] Amas on a Windsprint

  • teakdeck@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
      I am worried about the akas as well. Right now I plan to use 2 x 4's bolted
      through at the gunwales and to the amas. The unsupported span between the
      main hull and each ama will be about 3.5 feet. If the boat works, that is,
      sails reasonbly fast, points decently and handles okay, and the akas break, I
      will look into beefing them up or building square hollow beams.

      Mike Masten

      In a message dated 3/2/01 5:38:43 AM Pacific Standard Time, hwal@...
      writes:

      << I do believe that there was a windsprint with amas at the Cedar Key
      messabout
      two years ago. He also added a small cuddy. He had trouble with one of the
      akas - something broke. It just wasn't beefed up enough for the strain. It
      looked pretty interesting. I don't know who that was ( anyone on this
      list?).
      I also don't know if he was there last year since I wasn't. Steve Anderson
      (
      MJ Landroval) >>
    • hwal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
        In a message dated 3/2/2001 9:01:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        teakdeck@... writes:

        << now I plan to use 2 x 4's bolted
        through at the gunwales and to the amas. >>

        This is what was used at cedar key. You perhaps should take a look at CLC/s
        tri converson for kayaks - curved and laminated akas might be much stronger.
        Steve
      • Don and Dianne
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2001
          I have a picture of it at www.ECoastLife.com/cedarkey2003.htm The owner's
          name is there, but no address or home port.

          Don Hodges
          www.ECoastLife.com
          Your Emerald Coast Cyber-Vacation
          Small-Boat Building, Fishing, Cruising