[bolger] Re: Sharpshooter

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 1999
      Don:

      The raised sole in this boat reminds me of the discussion here about
      modifying the Light Schooner. In this case it raised the Cg to the point
      that the boat was unworkable. I am not sure that that would happen to the
      LS but it could. What I am going to do is build the sharpshooter hull
      (three sheet bottom with two foot flared sides. It will have a small cuddy
      forward just after a small free flooding well. Next a four foot high pilot
      house. This is what the Tennessee had and works OK, but I will add a large
      hatch for sun, air, and standing up. A small cockpit will bring up the
      rear. For me this makes an economical all weather cruiser for two friendly
      people that can be pulled by a four banger pickup (my basic criteria).

      To make it strong enough, I guess I would use 3/4" ply on the bottom, and
      3/8" on the sides. That should make it pretty bulletproof, and the extra
      weight down low can only improve the stability.

      Chuck

      > For Chuck Leinweber in particular:
      >
      > I was browsing the (tiny) library near me, and to my surprise they had
      > "30-Odd Boats". I read the full piece on Sharpshooter, and looked at the
      > details. How do you build this boat without the raised sole, which would
      > appear to be necessary in order to have any accomodations? I guess you
      > would put in some forms to set the shape, then glass in ribs every 18
      inches
      > or so. It looks like a "non-starter" as a cruiser as designed, being
      > subject to nasty topheaviness with everything perched up on the raised
      sole.

      > Have you started working this out yet?
      >
      > Don Hodges
      > Lynn Haven, FL (where the temperature finally stalled the epoxy today...)

      > Buy 1 Get 2 FREE at FamilyWonder.com! Choose from over 50,000 videos
      > and CDs! FamilyWonder.com is dedicated to helping parents and friends
      > make the best possible purchase decisions for children.
      > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1807
      >

      > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/

    • Donald Hodges

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 1999
          Sounds like an interesting boat. Are there any pictures of
          Sharpshooters on the Net?

          Sean Rooney
          sean@...
        • Chuck Merrell
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 1999
            For anyone interested in taking a look, I've posted the SHARPSHOOTER design
            and Bolger's write up on my archive page, in an Adobe Acrobat .pdf file
            (item #5): http://chux.homepage.com/

            I'll leave it there for a couple weeks.

            Enjoy

            Chuck

            ***********************************
            CHUCK MERRELL
            MERRELL WATERCRAFT
            P. O. Box 80264
            Seattle, WA 98108-0264
            (206) 764-1298
            Email: chuck@...
            Web Site: http://www.boatdesign.com
            **********************************
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 1999
              Sean:

              Check the egroups vault under: power sharpies
              there are a number of files there including the sharpshooter.

              Chuck

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 1999

                > Might have misunderstood, but my reading of Bolger's Sharpshooter essay
                > was that it wasn't so much the physical boat (and its cog) which went up
                > a wattle, but that the original design encouraged all aboard to =stand
                > up= which raised the overall cog to unsafe heights.
                >
                > This surely would remain a danger in any re-addition of superstructure
                > onto a sharpshooter hull?
                >
                > Tim & Flying Tadpole

                Tim:

                I stand corrected. You are right about the original Sharpshooter. The one
                I am considering will have a low superstructure, and low (9.9 hp) power
                motor, and will be used in protected water. The idea is a little brother to
                Tennessee.

                Chuck
              • tjfatchen@ace.net.au
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 9, 2000
                  BO>Don:

                  BO>The raised sole in this boat reminds me of the discussion here about
                  BO>modifying the Light Schooner. In this case it raised the Cg to the point
                  BO>that the boat was unworkable.

                  BO>> For Chuck Leinweber in particular:
                  BO>>
                  BO>> I was browsing the (tiny) library near me, and to my surprise they had
                  BO>> "30-Odd Boats". I read the full piece on Sharpshooter, and looked at the
                  BO>> details. How do you build this boat without the raised sole, which would
                  BO>> appear to be necessary in order to have any accomodations?

                  Might have misunderstood, but my reading of Bolger's Sharpshooter essay
                  was that it wasn't so much the physical boat (and its cog) which went up
                  a wattle, but that the original design encouraged all aboard to =stand
                  up= which raised the overall cog to unsafe heights.

                  This surely would remain a danger in any re-addition of superstructure
                  onto a sharpshooter hull?

                  Tim & Flying Tadpole
                • smallboatexplorer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 13, 2015

                    In case anyone is interested:

                    I donated my Sharpshooter to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum and they have it posted for sale.  I'd not been able to use it for years, so this made sense.

                    This is the original Sharpshooter, designed by Phil and built by Burge Whiteside.  The transom needs some fresh wood--not the whole thing, but perhaps  a 2" x 8" x 6' piece of some suitable wood. The freeing ports seem to have drained into the wood, instead of overside.  No doubt a caulking issue. The boat could be used as is, but I'd want to fix it.  It could also use paint.

                    It sits on a nice Trailex aluminum trailer.

                    Bob

                  • smallboatexplorer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 13, 2015
                      Here is the web link:

                      Flat bottom Plywood Skiff #2254 |

                    • BruceHallman
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 13, 2015
                        Sharpshooter has long been one of my favorite designs!  Your build of it looks very nice too.  $995 is a give away price.

                        On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 7:32 AM, cavenaghr@... [bolger] <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        Here is the web link:

                        Flat bottom Plywood Skiff #2254 |
                        Flat bottom Plywood Skiff #2254 |
                            Click on images to enlarge   2254 Very neat flat bottom plywood skiff. Professionally built Bolger design Sharpshooter Skiff.23’LOA 5’7″ Beam. ...
                        Preview by Yahoo