Re. Sweet Caroline - Sea Trials

  • Jack E. Bearden
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 2:01 PM
      Sounds like a perfect way to spend a day, Don. Congratulations on the
      successful trials and lessons learned. With respect to your kindly "salt
      rubbing" into the frozen wounds of us Fundy shore dwellers (and St.
      Lawrencians), take a tally of your rapt audience on the shore. Odds are
      they're 50% Canadian or better. That 50% will be mostly Blue Nosers. We're
      taking over, Don. Florida is in our sights for the newest maritime province.
      Watch out for Tim Hortons dounut shops and Irving Gas Stations!;-)

      In truth your description of the day was a ray of sunshine and warmth. I
      could smell the salt air and hear the swamp peepers in the background. I
      plan (fantasize) to trailer the Jochems (assuming I actually get around to
      building it) to the gulf coast some early spring for a full season of
      coastal cruising. Might be in the audience for one of your future sea
      trials. All the best.

      jeb, assuming a fetal position and starting to babble, while listening to
      the forecast on the frozen Fundy shore
    • Don and Dianne
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 10:31 PM
        Come on down, we have lost a few snowbirds to the oddities of the Health
        System portability issue, but I understand that has been resolved in your
        favor now. I am a big fan of donut shops, and obviously I'll be a large
        customer for hi-test Irving.

        I'm thinking about "buddy trips" for cost sharing, but don't tell the USCG.
        It is a beautiful area, and just about to be rolled up in a tidal wave of
        over-development a la Ft. Myers. I give it about 20 more years of relative
        peace and quiet. All that rebuilding work from the hurricanes in the 90's
        fueled a developer/builder class that is unstoppable, and I'm not totally
        unsympathetic - the area has always lagged economically, losing its youth to
        Atlanta, Orlando, and now Jacksonville. The only salvation is the huge
        military land holdings - they are much better stewards of the shorelines
        than the Deltonas and Arvidas of the world. For now, the vistas in Nathan
        Bishop's last few chapters of "4 Months in a Sneakbox" are still to found
        with a thin-water boat, lotsa sunscreen, and a bit of bug repellant. I'm
        not as eloquent as Robb White, (writing or boatbuilding!) but he catches the
        spirit of the natives like me pretty well.

        Don Hodges, who spent his career in Atlanta but returned to his roots
        www.ECoastLife.com
        Your Emerald Coast Cyber-Vacation
        Small-Boat Building, Fishing, Cruising

        take a tally of your rapt audience on the shore. Odds are
        > they're 50% Canadian or better. That 50% will be mostly Blue Nosers. We're
        > taking over, Don. Florida is in our sights for the newest maritime
        province.
        > Watch out for Tim Hortons dounut shops and Irving Gas Stations!;-)

      • Clyde S. Wisner
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2001
          Don, How did you find the plans from Glen L, were they complete, easy, workable?
          I'm thinking about a Noyo Trawler, but with Bolger influence, of course, I've
          pened in a dipping lug from Ataraxia, though smaller. Thanks, Clyde