Amas on a Windsprint

  • garth@breakawaybooks.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
      >>By the way, I'm in the middle of adding amas to my Windsprint,
      >>turning her into a trimaran, I hope. Also going to try an
      >>experimental rig. More if anyone is interested.

      Definitely tell us more as you go along -- construction of the amas,
      method of attaching the amas, details of the rig. Post pictures.
      It'll be like a little Sea Pearl. This is tinkering in the finest
      Bolger tradition.
    • David Ryan
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
        >>>By the way, I'm in the middle of adding amas to my Windsprint,
        >>>turning her into a trimaran, I hope. Also going to try an
        >>>experimental rig. More if anyone is interested.
        >
        >Definitely tell us more as you go along -- construction of the amas,
        >method of attaching the amas, details of the rig. Post pictures.
        >It'll be like a little Sea Pearl. This is tinkering in the finest
        >Bolger tradition.

        My teal is going to become a tender for my scooner, and I was
        thinking a surf for my near-shore fishing boat. Amas (didn't know
        that's what they were called) had come to my mind too. I'm glad
        you're going first!

        YIBB,

        David

        CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
        134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
        New York, New York 10001
        http://www.crumblingempire.com
        (212) 247-0296
      • teakdeck@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
          The amas are 12' long, and 12" square at the midsection. They taper to a
          point at both stem and stern. The top is flat while the bottom is rockered,
          again from 12' at the midsection to 6" at stem and stern.

          The only real innovation here is to use the square boat concept to make the
          amas. Why didn't I use V bottom amas? Two reasons: I can't use epoxy and so I
          stay away from stitch and glue methods; at the typical angle of heel the
          leeward ama should be presenting a V to the water anyway.

          Most importantly to me, if the amas work, I will probably start to think
          about combining Bolger ideas and Wharram ideas into one catamaran. Square
          amas would be easier to build and much roomier than V shaped hulls, on the
          other hand, Wharram double canoe catamarans offer a stable sailing platform
          with lots of accomodating deck space.

        • hwal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
            I do believe that there was a windsprint with amas at the Cedar Key messabout
            two years ago. He also added a small cuddy. He had trouble with one of the
            akas - something broke. It just wasn't beefed up enough for the strain. It
            looked pretty interesting. I don't know who that was ( anyone on this list?).
            I also don't know if he was there last year since I wasn't. Steve Anderson (
            MJ Landroval)
          • teakdeck@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
              I am worried about the akas as well. Right now I plan to use 2 x 4's bolted
              through at the gunwales and to the amas. The unsupported span between the
              main hull and each ama will be about 3.5 feet. If the boat works, that is,
              sails reasonbly fast, points decently and handles okay, and the akas break, I
              will look into beefing them up or building square hollow beams.

              Mike Masten

              In a message dated 3/2/01 5:38:43 AM Pacific Standard Time, hwal@...
              writes:

              << I do believe that there was a windsprint with amas at the Cedar Key
              messabout
              two years ago. He also added a small cuddy. He had trouble with one of the
              akas - something broke. It just wasn't beefed up enough for the strain. It
              looked pretty interesting. I don't know who that was ( anyone on this
              list?).
              I also don't know if he was there last year since I wasn't. Steve Anderson
              (
              MJ Landroval) >>
            • hwal@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2001
                In a message dated 3/2/2001 9:01:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                teakdeck@... writes:

                << now I plan to use 2 x 4's bolted
                through at the gunwales and to the amas. >>

                This is what was used at cedar key. You perhaps should take a look at CLC/s
                tri converson for kayaks - curved and laminated akas might be much stronger.
                Steve
              • Don and Dianne
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2001
                  I have a picture of it at www.ECoastLife.com/cedarkey2003.htm The owner's
                  name is there, but no address or home port.

                  Don Hodges
                  www.ECoastLife.com
                  Your Emerald Coast Cyber-Vacation
                  Small-Boat Building, Fishing, Cruising