Re: Potter

  • Lincoln Ross
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24 2:45 PM
      Building your own becomes very economical when you don't have a place
      for a trailer and need something light enough for putting on top of
      the car. It doesn't take many chiropractic sessions to make a
      fiberglass boat very expensive. Now, I admit that a glass one man
      canoe wouldn't bust my back, but I want a two person boat and I don't
      really like canoes. We were able to pick up a used Brick, but I'd say
      that's a fluke.
      --- In bolger@y..., Jim Goeckermann <jim@s...> wrote:
      > James,
      snip
    • djost@ma.ultranet.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24 3:32 PM
        Ok,
        If you are looking for common sense, then I think you are in
        the wrong discussion group! Boating does not make any logical sense
        whatsoever. It is enjoyment for the sake of enjoyment. The fun
        comes through the process. Hey, its 28 degrees F outside, and I am
        playing with my boats. This is way too cool.
        One of the better reasons for building a boat is the
        satisfaction obtained by creating something yourself! The Potter is
        a good boat and people have done amazing voyages with them, but my
        boating cost today was only $18 for two 10' 2X8's that were ripped
        into 1/2" and 3/4 strips for gunwales, and such. It is much easier
        to amortize the cost of the boat over the long haul than to part with
        a lot of cash at once!
        Today the keel was slid into its final resting place, and I
        hammered braces port and starboard onto the keel batten to
        temporarily hold it in place. I think I hit my thumb at least 5
        times . . . *@#$ But, I did it! The keel curve is almost perfect.
        That felt good.
        Then, I discovered that I had ripped the sheathing of marine ply
        1.5" too small because I forgot to allow for the keel batten! I glad
        I found out prior to nailing and epoxying the thing in place.
        Apologies to Peter L. After having done this, I now have
        realized how much easier this would have been had I built in keel
        bolts in the first place. Live and learn . . . Tomorrow more
        projects!

        Happy Boating
        David Jost "giddy upon seeing a wayward robin today, and a
        couple of bluebirds"

      • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 26 4:38 AM
          David,
          Please capture the next robin you see,give it a stern talking to
          and send his sorry a*s up to Montréal!We are just about at wits end
          with winter and to hear the happy horny warble of a robin or two would
          sure get the sap running..........
          The quick fix which the used boat market appears to
          offer,especially in the land-o-plenty just south of me,is just
          that.With it comes no real pride of ownership resulting from ones own
          efforts in the creativity/skills department.Perhaps the only uniquely
          singular act involved is when one signs his John Henry at the bottom
          of a $1000.00 check!After that,it is all down hill as one becomes
          awash in a sea of look-a-like production boats that have little to
          distinguish themselves from the next other then fading hull
          colours.However,the exhilarating high that accompanies the
          owner/builder on launching day is but the dénouement heureux in a long
          series of beautiful creative moments spent on the learning curve of
          SELF.To be sure,the weeks,months and sometimes years that follow the
          launch are absolutely pregnant with new discoveries,adventures and
          pleasures,not to mention schemes for perhaps another craft!With any
          sort of luck along the way,we may also re-discover in ourselves,a
          keener sense of quality and an appreciation for objects that no
          machine can copy and a respect for things not so easily disposable.
          On the other hand,perhaps life has just about sucked the romance
          right out of some of us and re-defined it in a pre-packaged,handy and
          cheaply manufactured thing.Who knows?!
          Sorry to hear about your keel tribulations!I usually stop the
          hammer swings after the first unholy meeting of flesh and accelerated
          steel.Must be something in the Bostonian water supply that allowed you
          to make it all the way to at least 5 hits.OUCH!! May I recommend a
          robust and earthy red Bordeaux as an alternative to the faucet? :-)

          Sincerely,
          Peter Lenihan,ornithologically challenged but not for much longer,on
          the shores of the blasted St.Lawrence.............

        • porcupine@dmcom.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 26 8:37 PM
            Merci, Peter,

            Thanks for reminding us why we're on this list. Gawd, I was actually
            thinking about buying some shapely piece of congealed snot instead of
            building a Micro! Okay, it just lasted a minute, but....

            Btw, I did find a robin today, and I'm just 250 km. south of you, in
            the so-called "land-o-plenty". Unfortunately, the bird was frozen to
            death,

            (sigh)

            porky galvin

            Wondering when all this snow will finally melt, high above the banks
            of the West Branch of the Delaware....