Potter

  • Jim Goeckermann
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2001
      James,
      Greetings,
      Saw your querry on the potter. There is one in my barn out
      back. I had a catalina 22 and after that it looks like a
      dinghy!! It is narrow and just plain tiny, BUT cute as can
      be. For the small size it is stable and secure feeling. The
      thing I like the most is that it is so easy to tow and set up.
      But I must admit that the more I looked at it, the more I
      wondered how it would hold us for the occasional
      overnighter.... so much so that when I found a Venture 21 for
      under $1000, I bought it too. (another inexpensive boat you
      might consider - much faster than the potter, but 1000 pounds
      lighter than the catalina 22.)
      To give you a comparison, I have a Newport 15 that I am selling
      for $850 with trailer and great sails..... run circles around
      the Potter, but it is much tippier than the Potter, and to my wife,
      it feels less secure. Also, if you are willing to move everything
      into the cockpit, you can sleep in the potter, or at least get in out of
      the rain.
      Other things to consider - the wwp15 can be moved with oars or
      an electric motor - saving the outboard that costs as much as a
      used boat.
      I have had five sailboats, each less than $1000 including sails and trailer.
      In fact, they are so affordable that there is no economic sense in building a
      wooden boat of any size (just ask this list about the cost of "extras"). Mind you,
      I said "economic" sense - there are many reasons to build! In fact, one
      can be money ahead to buy a 70's boat and throw away the hull, using the other
      parts on the wooden ship of your dreams.
      My bottom line advice - even in the "just thinking" stages, try
      to get next to one. You will see why people move up to the WWP19,
      BUT you will also be "smitten" by this jaunty little
      "i-think-i-can" craft.
      Best wishes,
      Jim
    • Lincoln Ross
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2001
        Building your own becomes very economical when you don't have a place
        for a trailer and need something light enough for putting on top of
        the car. It doesn't take many chiropractic sessions to make a
        fiberglass boat very expensive. Now, I admit that a glass one man
        canoe wouldn't bust my back, but I want a two person boat and I don't
        really like canoes. We were able to pick up a used Brick, but I'd say
        that's a fluke.
        --- In bolger@y..., Jim Goeckermann <jim@s...> wrote:
        > James,
        snip
      • djost@ma.ultranet.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 24, 2001
          Ok,
          If you are looking for common sense, then I think you are in
          the wrong discussion group! Boating does not make any logical sense
          whatsoever. It is enjoyment for the sake of enjoyment. The fun
          comes through the process. Hey, its 28 degrees F outside, and I am
          playing with my boats. This is way too cool.
          One of the better reasons for building a boat is the
          satisfaction obtained by creating something yourself! The Potter is
          a good boat and people have done amazing voyages with them, but my
          boating cost today was only $18 for two 10' 2X8's that were ripped
          into 1/2" and 3/4 strips for gunwales, and such. It is much easier
          to amortize the cost of the boat over the long haul than to part with
          a lot of cash at once!
          Today the keel was slid into its final resting place, and I
          hammered braces port and starboard onto the keel batten to
          temporarily hold it in place. I think I hit my thumb at least 5
          times . . . *@#$ But, I did it! The keel curve is almost perfect.
          That felt good.
          Then, I discovered that I had ripped the sheathing of marine ply
          1.5" too small because I forgot to allow for the keel batten! I glad
          I found out prior to nailing and epoxying the thing in place.
          Apologies to Peter L. After having done this, I now have
          realized how much easier this would have been had I built in keel
          bolts in the first place. Live and learn . . . Tomorrow more
          projects!

          Happy Boating
          David Jost "giddy upon seeing a wayward robin today, and a
          couple of bluebirds"

        • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 26, 2001
            David,
            Please capture the next robin you see,give it a stern talking to
            and send his sorry a*s up to Montréal!We are just about at wits end
            with winter and to hear the happy horny warble of a robin or two would
            sure get the sap running..........
            The quick fix which the used boat market appears to
            offer,especially in the land-o-plenty just south of me,is just
            that.With it comes no real pride of ownership resulting from ones own
            efforts in the creativity/skills department.Perhaps the only uniquely
            singular act involved is when one signs his John Henry at the bottom
            of a $1000.00 check!After that,it is all down hill as one becomes
            awash in a sea of look-a-like production boats that have little to
            distinguish themselves from the next other then fading hull
            colours.However,the exhilarating high that accompanies the
            owner/builder on launching day is but the dénouement heureux in a long
            series of beautiful creative moments spent on the learning curve of
            SELF.To be sure,the weeks,months and sometimes years that follow the
            launch are absolutely pregnant with new discoveries,adventures and
            pleasures,not to mention schemes for perhaps another craft!With any
            sort of luck along the way,we may also re-discover in ourselves,a
            keener sense of quality and an appreciation for objects that no
            machine can copy and a respect for things not so easily disposable.
            On the other hand,perhaps life has just about sucked the romance
            right out of some of us and re-defined it in a pre-packaged,handy and
            cheaply manufactured thing.Who knows?!
            Sorry to hear about your keel tribulations!I usually stop the
            hammer swings after the first unholy meeting of flesh and accelerated
            steel.Must be something in the Bostonian water supply that allowed you
            to make it all the way to at least 5 hits.OUCH!! May I recommend a
            robust and earthy red Bordeaux as an alternative to the faucet? :-)

            Sincerely,
            Peter Lenihan,ornithologically challenged but not for much longer,on
            the shores of the blasted St.Lawrence.............

          • porcupine@dmcom.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 26, 2001
              Merci, Peter,

              Thanks for reminding us why we're on this list. Gawd, I was actually
              thinking about buying some shapely piece of congealed snot instead of
              building a Micro! Okay, it just lasted a minute, but....

              Btw, I did find a robin today, and I'm just 250 km. south of you, in
              the so-called "land-o-plenty". Unfortunately, the bird was frozen to
              death,

              (sigh)

              porky galvin

              Wondering when all this snow will finally melt, high above the banks
              of the West Branch of the Delaware....