let's burn ALL the light scooners

  • macinkos@micronet.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 23, 2001
      Wow. I've thought of lots of things to do with Bolger boats, never
      thought of burning one though:

      Check out the fate of Jim Evan's scooner at:

      http://cowlove.com/allison/

      Come to think of it, it seems like Gregg Carlson and David Ryan have
      been pretty quiet in the building dept. lately. C'mon guys, follow
      Jim's lead and you'll have the inspiration (and room in the yard) for
      your next project. And what about Fatchen down under?

      Seth Macinko (who is wondering who's bringing matches to the Lake
      Champlain gig?)
    • StepHydro@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 23, 2001
        In a message dated 02/23/2001 11:<BR55:<BR36 PM
        Eastern Standard, macinkos@... writes:> Wow. I've thought of lots
        of things to do with Bolger boats, never
        > thought of burning one though:
        >
        > Check out the fate of Jim Evan's scooner at:
        >
        > http://cowlove.com/allison/

        Well, I, for one, don't get it. I supose there is a good reason, but it makes
        me a bit angry to look at the pictures (thinking of all those poor children
        in the ghettos who have no boats).

        Cheers/Carron
        who admits that a man can do what he wishes with his boat.
      • Chuck Leinweber
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 23, 2001
          > Well, I, for one, don't get it. I supose there is a good reason, but it
          makes
          > me a bit angry to look at the pictures (thinking of all those poor
          children
          > in the ghettos who have no boats).
          >
          > Cheers/Carron
          > who admits that a man can do what he wishes with his boat.

          Well, I for one am glad someone is doing something about the glut of Light
          Schooners.

          Chuck
        • gunkholer@home.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 24, 2001
            The Elegant Punt I built for my nephew many years ago went out in the
            same blaze of glory! After several years of use/abuse/neglect it was
            no longer "seaworthy" so we gave her the ol' viking funeral.
            Jake

            --- In bolger@y..., macinkos@m... wrote:
            > Wow. I've thought of lots of things to do with Bolger boats, never
            > thought of burning one though:
          • Stan Muller
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 24, 2001
              Hello All,
              What happened? Did I miss a thread? Why would anybody burn a useable
              boat, especially one that is hardly three years old? What am I missing?
              A Very confused Stan, S. G.
            • Chuck Leinweber
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 24, 2001
                > The Elegant Punt I built for my nephew many years ago went out in the
                > same blaze of glory! After several years of use/abuse/neglect it was
                > no longer "seaworthy" so we gave her the ol' viking funeral.
                > Jake
                >
                > > --- In bolger@y..., macinkos@m... wrote:
                > > Wow. I've thought of lots of things to do with Bolger boats, never
                > > thought of burning one though:

                I burned a brand new boat once. It was one that I designed myself, and as
                soon as it became three dimensional, it was obvious that it needed to be
                burned. Being a thrifty sort, cut it up for firewood.

                Chuck
              • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 25, 2001
                  What a shame.........it is still not clear to me why such an
                  apparently good boat was destroyed.While it may be seen as alright for
                  an individual to dispose of his own property as he sees fit,it would
                  also appear to demonstrate,publicly,an embarrassing poverty of
                  immagination.
                  Were this boat nothing more then someones well intentioned but
                  otherwise failed attempts at designing and building their own boat
                  which turns out to be something of an objective failure,then fine.Why
                  expose yourself or the public to further risks/hazards?However,this
                  does not seem to be the case.As part of a growing fleet of light
                  schooners,this boat was built from proven plans.Surely,somewhere in
                  Jim Evans' neck of the woods,there is a Sea Scout troop,Scout
                  Troop,Boys Club,Girls Club,non-profit organization,needy boatless
                  sailor or whatever that could have benefitted from an out-right
                  donation/gift?!
                  On the other hand,the boat may have been suffering the results of
                  shoddy construction and/or neglect so severe that only a weeny roast
                  could remove such a blight from the environment........

                  Sincerely,
                  Peter Lenihan,awaiting the arrival of a snow/sleet/freezing
                  rain/rain/sleet and snow kind of day,here on the shores of the
                  confused St.Lawrence..........

                • lgbarker@internetcds.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 25, 2001
                    Strange things happen in the darkness and rain of a
                    Seattle winter ... ;)
                    Larry Barker In sunny Southern Oregon

                    Quoting ellengaest@...:
                    > What a shame.........it is still not clear to me
                    > why such an apparently good boat was destroyed.
                    <snip>

                    > --- In bolger@y..., macinkos@m... wrote:
                    <snip>
                    > > Check out the fate of Jim Evan's scooner at:
                    > >
                    > > http://cowlove.com/allison/
                    <snip>
                  • David Ryan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 26, 2001
                      >Wow. I've thought of lots of things to do with Bolger boats, never
                      >thought of burning one though:
                      >
                      >Check out the fate of Jim Evan's scooner at:
                      >
                      >http://cowlove.com/allison/
                      >
                      >Come to think of it, it seems like Gregg Carlson and David Ryan have
                      >been pretty quiet in the building dept. lately. C'mon guys, follow
                      >Jim's lead and you'll have the inspiration (and room in the yard) for
                      >your next project. And what about Fatchen down under?

                      Burning perfectly good boats is time honored N.W. tradition, blankets
                      and slaves are usually included in the pyre. For more information,
                      look up "potlatch"

                      YIBB,

                      David

                      CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
                      http://www.crumblingempire.com
                      (212) 243-1636
                    • Ross
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 2, 2001
                        --- In bolger@y..., macinkos@m... wrote:
                        > Wow. I've thought of lots of things to do with Bolger boats, never
                        > thought of burning one though:
                        >
                        > Check out the fate of Jim Evan's scooner at:
                        >
                        > http://cowlove.com/allison/
                        >
                        > Come to think of it, it seems like Gregg Carlson and David Ryan
                        have
                        > been pretty quiet in the building dept. lately. C'mon guys, follow
                        > Jim's lead and you'll have the inspiration (and room in the yard)
                        for
                        > your next project. And what about Fatchen down under?
                        >

                        > Seth Macinko (who is wondering who's bringing matches to the Lake
                        > Champlain gig?)
                      • Ross
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 2, 2001
                          --- In bolger@y..., "Ross" <pannkake@h...> wrote:
                          > --- In bolger@y..., macinkos@m... wrote:
                          > > Wow. I've thought of lots of things to do with Bolger boats,
                          never
                          > > thought of burning one though:
                          > >
                          > > Check out the fate of Jim Evan's scooner at:
                          > >
                          > > http://cowlove.com/allison/

                          sorry, I meant to write:

                          Jim burned Allison Might because she had suffered rot in the bottom
                          and centerboard trunk. It looked difficult to repair. In addition,
                          she wasn't used very often because she couldn't be sailed single
                          handed, and because of the time it took to rig her. Jim decided this
                          would be a better ending than letting her slowly rot away in his yard.

                          Jim saved the sails, pulled the bowsprit out of the flames just in
                          time to save it, and raked the bronze fittings from the ashes the
                          next morning.

                          Ross
                          (who's not a regular reader of this board, but dreams of building a
                          Marth Jane and sailing her to Alaska)
                        • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 3, 2001
                            Ross,
                            I guess there is some truth to the saying"it is always darkest just
                            before sunrise".Thanks for shedding light on the real reason for Jim
                            Evans' schooner burning stunt.
                            In retrospect,it now makes my previous post addressing the burning
                            seem way too harsh on Jim Evan.Know any tricks for realing back in
                            aspersions cast about too quickly?
                            Sincerely,
                            Peter Lenihan........

                          • pvanderw@optonline.net
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 3, 2001
                              > Know any tricks for realing back in
                              > aspersions cast about too quickly?

                              A group member can delete his own messages from the web message
                              board. That doesn't recall them from the folks who subscribe to e-
                              mail of course.

                              I find my most accurate proof-reading is done between clicking
                              on 'send' and having the copy disappear from the screen.

                              Peter