Re: [bolger] WW Potter 15

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 23 8:04 AM
      On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, James Fuller wrote:
      > I have been thinking about buying a WW Potter 15 for weekend sailing
      > while I am building on my wooden boat. Any opiniions pro or con on the
      > Potter?

      The Potter is a great little boat, with emphasis on little. There is a
      cabin, which is not exactly miniscule, but let's settle on small.

      People who own them, love them. They are affordable, easy to rig and tow,
      they are jaunty looking, and kinda slow (not bad for 14 feet, I know they
      say 15, but they're really 14).

      One very good thing in their favor is a strong group of owners, clubs,
      sailing events, and so on.

      They have a nice website with good pictures at:

      http://potter-yachters.org/

      If you're a speed demon, and around the buoys racer, or a sail tweaker,
      you will not be satisfied with a Potter. But they are seaworthy enough to
      cross the Atlantic.

      Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
      Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
      I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.
    • James Fuller
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 23 8:32 AM
        Hi,

        I have been thinking about buying a WW Potter 15 for
        weekend sailing while I am building on my wooden
        boat.
        Any opiniions pro or con on the Potter?

        Thanks,

        James Fuller

      • StepHydro@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 23 8:44 AM
          On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, James Fuller wrote:
          > I have been thinking about buying a WW Potter 15 for weekend sailing
          > while I am building on my wooden boat. Any opiniions pro or con on the
          > Potter?

          If Chris' reply puts yoiu off at all, you might consider a San Juan 21. These
          address all the slight negatives Chris mentioned, but give up the "offshore
          capability" :-)

          I've seen them even cheaper than the average WWPs. Nice cabin and
          cockpit...you get that for the extra length...and still very handy.

          Cities with racing fleets of them are good places to look. Sarasota FL is one
          of those.

          Cheers/Carron
        • StepHydro@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 23 10:36 AM
            In a message dated 02/23/2001 1:<BR29:<BR04 PM
            Eastern Standard , james@... writes:
            > the ease of towing, ease of putting her in and getting her out of the
            > water, and one handed sailing.

            I am in no way trying to talk you into a SJ21; however, on those three
            points, the SJ is about as handy as the WWP. I think the SJ fails in the
            looks department, but as a *sailboat* it is really a better design, and it
            gets better the larger (both number and size) your family or sailing crew is.

            I've sailed on both (more on the SJ) and I must say that the WWP was
            disapointing (actually, boring :-) in light air. If you have a lot of that
            where you sail....well....

            Cheers/Carron
          • Chris Crandall
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 23 10:43 AM
              On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, James Fuller wrote:
              > That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. How would you
              > estimate that the Potter would compare to the Micro in terms of ease
              > of sailing, speed and interior room?

              I'll have to estimate, never having seen a real Micro.

              Interior is smaller on the Potter, but it will be quicker in stays.
              The Potter is a skiff with a heavy centerboard and a low center of effort.
              The Micro has higher sails, but more ballast. The interior on the Micro,
              everyone says, is wrokable for camp cruising for two.

              Potters do the same thing, but I'll bet with less comfort.

              Sound would be different--wood vs. fiberglass and steel.

              The Potter is a lesser solution. It's also less expensive, and faster,
              and more common.

              I'd do both--a Potter now, the Micro when it's finished abuildin'.
            • James Fuller
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 23 11:00 AM
                Thanks for the help.

                The reasons that I like the WW Potter are: the ease of towing, ease of putting her in and getting her out of the
                water, and one handed sailing.  I looked up the San Juan 21
                and it is a nice boat.  I will do some research and see if
                I think I could handle it.  I have already found a nice one
                fairly close to me as well.  The internet is a truly wondefull
                device.

                James Fuller

                On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, James Fuller wrote:
                > I have been thinking about buying a WW Potter 15 for weekend sailing
                > while I am building on my wooden boat. Any opiniions pro or con on the
                > Potter?

                If Chris' reply puts yoiu off at all, you might consider a San Juan 21. These
                address all the slight negatives Chris mentioned, but give up the "offshore
                capability" :-)

                I've seen them even cheaper than the average WWPs. Nice cabin and
                cockpit...you get that for the extra length...and still very handy.

                Cities with racing fleets of them are good places to look. Sarasota FL is one
                of those.

                Cheers/Carron

                Bolger rules!!!
                - no cursing, flaming, trolling, or spamming
                - no flogging dead horses
                - add something: take "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
                - stay on topic and punctuate
                - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts

              • James Fuller

                • hwal@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 23 1:38 PM
                    In a message dated 2/23/2001 10:31:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    james@... writes:

                    << I have been thinking about buying a WW Potter 15 for
                    weekend sailing while I am building on my wooden
                    boat.
                    Any opiniions pro or con on the Potter? >>

                    I saw my first one this weekend - and was amazed at how tiny a 15' boat this
                    is. Way too small me. Steve
                  • pvanderw@optonline.net
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 23 1:40 PM
                      Since the request was for opinions about the WWP, I give you
                      Opinions. I don't really have any facts except observations.

                      It depends a great deal on where you are doing your sailing.

                      The Potter, being of British origin, has a small rig for the
                      legendary breeziness of UK sailing conditions. For just about
                      anywhere in the US but San Francisco Bay or Buzzards Bay, you could
                      use a boat with a bigger rig.

                      Of course, if you are going to sail on a lake that's only a mile
                      across, then what does it matter.

                      The San Juan 21's sail quite well, but as far I as I know, all the
                      existing ones are pretty old. That means cheap, which is good, but
                      some are going to be in pretty tough shape by now.

                      I had a Santana 21, which was a nice boat in some ways, but not the
                      sort of thing I would want to launch and retrieve on every sailing
                      day. The stub keel keeps it high on the trailer. A better proposition
                      would be an O'Day Mariner (or the newer boats built to the same
                      design by Stuart). I had one and they sail very well. They are
                      probably about equal to, or easier than, the SJ21 in
                      launch/retrieval. Another small cabin boat that appeals to me a
                      little is the 17' Sirius by Vandestat and McGruer of Canada.

                      Peter
                    • James Fuller
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 23 1:42 PM
                        Well,
                        I could be talked into one.  I am in eastern NM and there
                        arent a lot of boats near here.  There is an SJ21 about
                        500miles from here that sounds to be in very good condition
                        with lots of extras at about 1/2 the price of a new Potter.
                        If it is easy in and out and can be sailed single handed
                        I would certainly want to look at it.

                        Again, This is exactly the kind of info I wanted. There is almost no-one around here here that I could ask and expect informed opinions/answers from.

                        I am drawn to the Potter for the above reasons and because
                        their owners seem to uniformly love them. Plus a new one,
                        ready to go, is about $6500.00.

                        The average wind here is about 11 knots.

                        James

                      • djost@ma.ultranet.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 23 3:13 PM
                          Read Larry Brown's book Cruising on a Micro Budget. It should be on
                          the required reading list for all Bolgerites!

                          I have actually sailed past Larry in his Potter on a number of
                          occasions when he used to ply the waters south of Cape Cod. The boat
                          takes the dirty stuff in style, riding over the waves like a duck.

                          I too considered buying one until I visited their web site. It seems
                          that the boat can capsize with the dagger board up, and when there
                          is not cover over the daggerboard trunk the boat swamps with the
                          dagger board trunk BELOW the new waterline making the boat impossible
                          to bail.

                          I will stick with my Micro, Keel in position waiting for a good
                          gluing day to raise it into its slot and nail it in place for good.
                          Its amazing what you can do with floorjacks and 6' pry bars, and a
                          come-along!

                          David Jost
                          "smelling mud for the first time since November, in Boston"
                        • macinkos@micronet.net
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 23 8:10 PM
                            In the spirit of getting this thread back onto Bolger boats, may I
                            suggest that anyone considering a Potter 15 consider a Montgomery 15
                            instead (or at least as well)? (also mentioned in Larry Brown's book,
                            and no flame intended but a world of difference in capability between
                            the P-15 and the M-15)

                            There is a connection to Lyle Hess here but how does this get us back
                            to Bolger? Well, I (shamelessly) happen to have a M-15 that is
                            currently for sale to raise funds for my next building project (the
                            sign of true addiction I know). Contact off list please if interested.
                            Now what Bolger design would come the closest to that lovely lapstrake
                            stub keel/centerboard hull of the M-15? Nord Koester??

                            Seth Macinko
                          • Chuck Leinweber
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 23 8:15 PM
                              > Well, I (shamelessly) happen to have a M-15 that is
                              > currently for sale to raise funds for my next building project (the
                              > sign of true addiction I know). Contact off list please if interested.
                              > Now what Bolger design would come the closest to that lovely lapstrake
                              > stub keel/centerboard hull of the M-15? Nord Koester??
                              >
                              > Seth Macinko

                              Seth:

                              What IS your next building project? A lapstrake Chebacco?

                              Chuck

                              P.S. thanks for getting us back on Bolger
                            • StepHydro@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 23 8:24 PM
                                In a message dated 02/23/2001 11:<BR11:<BR25 PM
                                Eastern Standard, macinkos@... writes:

                                > Nord Koester??

                                There's one with which I'm not familiar!! Anyone have a link to a pic or a
                                drawing of it???

                                Cheers/Carron
                              • macinkos@micronet.net
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 23 8:41 PM
                                  --- In bolger@y..., "Chuck Leinweber" <chuck@d...> wrote:

                                  > Seth:
                                  >
                                  > What IS your next building project? A lapstrake Chebacco?
                                  >
                                  > Chuck

                                  Good question. Write when you have the answer.

                                  I've got lapstrake fever at the moment and in increasing size
                                  increments ponder: Japanese Beach Cruiser (I could take on the Oldshoe
                                  crowd), Nord Koester (mentioned some time ago on this site but for
                                  those that don't know it, check it out at William Clements site:
                                  www.boatbldr.com), and St. Valery.

                                  Of course the flaw in all this dreaming is my lack of skills--and after
                                  the 4 1/2 hour Naval Jelly, I suppose, the patience-- to create
                                  anything as beautiful as these last two. Maybe I'll write to PCB&F and
                                  ask about a "starter" lapstrake design. Then when I grow up I can build
                                  a Spur II.

                                  In the meantime, I dream of selling the M-15 and building a Single-
                                  Handed Schooner (the Navel Jelly was just a trial run of this really)
                                  and the new centerboard redesign of the Catfish Beachcruiser. Oh yeah,
                                  then there is the Summer Ease design.... it really is an affliction.

                                  Seth
                                • Michael Surface
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 23 9:02 PM
                                    While at the potter site take a look at thier potter 19 also a great little
                                    boat and very sea worthy.

                                    Michael Surface

                                    >From: StepHydro@...
                                    >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
                                    >Subject: Re: [bolger] WW Potter 15
                                    >Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:44:17 EST
                                    >
                                    >On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, James Fuller wrote:
                                    > > I have been thinking about buying a WW Potter 15 for weekend sailing
                                    > > while I am building on my wooden boat. Any opiniions pro or con on the
                                    > > Potter?
                                    >
                                    >If Chris' reply puts yoiu off at all, you might consider a San Juan 21.
                                    >These
                                    >address all the slight negatives Chris mentioned, but give up the "offshore
                                    >capability" :-)
                                    >
                                    >I've seen them even cheaper than the average WWPs. Nice cabin and
                                    >cockpit...you get that for the extra length...and still very handy.
                                    >
                                    >Cities with racing fleets of them are good places to look. Sarasota FL is
                                    >one
                                    >of those.
                                    >
                                    >Cheers/Carron

                                  • James Fuller
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 24 8:18 AM
                                      Hi,

                                      Sorry to have gotten the group off the subject, and this will be my last post.

                                      After all the discussion that I have seen I think that the members are right in
                                      their suggestion.  I am now looking for a SJ 21 MK 2 within driving distance
                                      of eastern NM.  It seems to have all of the advantages of the WW Potter 15
                                      and in addition is much larger and faster.  It can also be bought in good used
                                      condition for half as many dollars!

                                      Thanks for the help.

                                      James Fuller

                                    • Chris Crandall
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 26 11:25 AM
                                        On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, James Fuller wrote:
                                        > After all the discussion that I have seen I think that the members are
                                        > right in their suggestion. I am now looking for a SJ 21 MK 2 within
                                        > driving distance of eastern NM. It seems to have all of the
                                        > advantages of the WW Potter 15 and in addition is much larger and
                                        > faster. It can also be bought in good used condition for half as many
                                        > dollars!

                                        Yes, but it's ugly and substantially less seaworthy. The interior is
                                        ugly, and it's much more of a handful to sail. People who do sail it are
                                        racers, not cruisers.

                                        If it were up to me, I wouldn't go with an SJ21. If you're in that market
                                        (it's substantially larger, heavier, and much more difficult to trailer),
                                        then I'd look at a Catalina 22. More attractive, more of them, easier to
                                        sail, great group of cruiser and racers (and so many, you can pick which
                                        group to hang out with). Much, much nicer interior, more comfortable to
                                        sail in, and EXCELLENT support for service and parts.

                                      • kwilson800@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 26 12:40 PM
                                          Actually, Spur II wouldn't be a bad "starter" design for glued
                                          plywood lapstrake at all. Reasonable size, easy curves in the
                                          planking, not much structure besides the hull. It ain't nearly as
                                          hard as it looks. I suggest Tom Hill's book "Ultralight
                                          Boatbuilding". Honestly, once you get the hang of it, I think it's a
                                          lot less hassle than taped-seam construction, mainly because you
                                          don't have to spend hours and hours sanding the $%#@! fiberglass.
                                          Main problem is that you need a lot of clamps, but you can make them
                                          up yourself fairly easily. All the clamps I used to build a Tom Hill
                                          canoe were too shallow for the wider strakes on the lapstrake
                                          Cartopper variant I'm currently building, so I made U-shaped plywood
                                          things with wedges; they worked fine and cost almost nothing. I just
                                          hope it gets warm enough for epoxy to cure soon!

                                        • pvanderw@optonline.net
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 27 6:31 AM
                                            I took a look at all the items on ebay under Boating/Sail. There were
                                            several small sailboats of 15-20 size at various prices. The most
                                            Potter-like was a 15' Captiva.

                                            PHV
                                          • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 1, 2001
                                              Seth,
                                              Have you seen the latest MAIBs?Bolger shows an up-dated version of
                                              the beautiful SPARTINA and this time she has an electric powerplant
                                              with the batteries stored in a box-keel type of arrangement.Almost
                                              brings her into the MICRO class for stability but offers you the
                                              wonderful opportunity to do some sweet lining-off for those lapstrake
                                              planks!Shouldn't be too much of a problem off and on a trailer.Looks
                                              like a glorious way to do some daysailing/picnicking.Just imagine
                                              yourself leaning against a shady island tree right near the waters
                                              edge at around high noon.Big wicker lunch basket at hand stuffed with
                                              fresh cheeses,fruits,a baguette or two and some earthy red wine.As the
                                              wind rustles the overhead leaves and tosses your hair about in
                                              refreshing little puffs,you sip quietly as your eyes gaze lovingly at
                                              that mezmerizing collection of sweeping lines afforded by your own
                                              SPARTINA which lies anchored a few feet off the beach in warm
                                              knee-deep water.As she tugs gently at her anchor and gets swung around
                                              by the summer breeze,she reveals more of her shape for your endless
                                              pleasure,the overhead sun casting neat shadows toward the tuck of her
                                              transom.As your senses savour the pungent mingling of fresh cheese and
                                              old wine,you still marvel at this obvious beauty that lays before
                                              you;the fruit of your own labours!It has been weeks now since you
                                              launched her and you haven't yet found a way to rid your face of what
                                              is fast becoming a permanent smile!
                                              Check her out!A real cutey..........
                                              Sincerely,
                                              Peter Lenihan,waiting for robins,on the shores of the St.Lawrence.....

                                              --- In bolger@y..., macinkos@m... wrote:

                                              > I've got lapstrake fever at the moment and in increasing size
                                              > increments ponder: Japanese Beach Cruiser (I could take on the
                                              Oldshoe
                                              > crowd), Nord Koester (mentioned some time ago on this site but for
                                              > those that don't know it, check it out at William Clements site:
                                              > www.boatbldr.com), and St. Valery.
                                              >
                                              > Of course the flaw in all this dreaming is my lack of skills--and
                                              after
                                              > the 4 1/2 hour Naval Jelly, I suppose, the patience-- to create
                                              > anything as beautiful as these last two. Maybe I'll write to PCB&F
                                              and
                                              > ask about a "starter" lapstrake design. Then when I grow up I can
                                              build
                                              > a Spur II.
                                              >
                                              > In the meantime, I dream of selling the M-15 and building a Single-
                                              > Handed Schooner (the Navel Jelly was just a trial run of this
                                              really)
                                              > and the new centerboard redesign of the Catfish Beachcruiser. Oh
                                              yeah,
                                              > then there is the Summer Ease design.... it really is an affliction.
                                              >
                                              > Seth
                                            • James Fuller
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 1, 2001
                                                Well I jumped off and bought a SJ 21 yesterday.
                                                It is in the central Texas area and I won't be able to pick
                                                her up for a couple of weeks. " Now I are a sailor!! "
                                                If anyone is interested I'll post a pic when I get her.

                                                James Fuller

                                                In a message dated 02/23/2001 1:<BR29:<BR04 PM
                                                Eastern Standard , james@... writes:
                                                >  the ease of towing, ease of putting her in and getting her out of the
                                                >  water, and one handed sailing.

                                                I am in no way trying to talk you into a SJ21; however, on those three
                                                points, the SJ is about as handy as the WWP. I think the SJ fails in the
                                                looks department, but as a *sailboat* it is really a better design, and it
                                                gets better the larger (both number and size) your family or sailing crew is.

                                                I've sailed on both (more on the SJ) and I must say that the WWP was
                                                disapointing (actually, boring :-) in light air. If you have a lot of that
                                                where you sail....well....

                                                Cheers/Carron

                                                Bolger rules!!!
                                                - no cursing, flaming, trolling, or spamming
                                                - no flogging dead horses
                                                - add something: take "thanks!" and "ditto!" posts off-list.
                                                - stay on topic and punctuate
                                                - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts

                                              • Phillip Lea
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Mar 3, 2001
                                                  I was unaware how lapstrake could grow hair back --
                                                  what boat plan was that again?

                                                  Phil Lea,
                                                  Russellville, Arkansas

                                                  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/