Re: [bolger] Re: common sense boats

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 21, 2001
      On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 pvanderw@... wrote:

      > > Wait, I'm on an academic sabbatical, leaving for Vancover BC in
      > > less than two weeks. It IS my situation!
      >
      > I don't suppose you are going to follow Lewis & Clark's route. They
      > didn't take their boats over the mountains anyway.

      No, it's too northerly, and besides, I hear that willows have grown
      completely across the Missouri River in places in Montana. I've a
      rear-wheel drive car that I'm taking, and thus avoiding snow and ice if I
      can. Salt Lake City is in my future--I'm sure that lake won't freeze this
      winter.

      However, I can recommend William Least Heat Moon's book "Riverhorse",
      which is an account of a power boat trip across the USA by river (almost
      completely by river), mostly in a C-Dory. I liked the book. Others might
      not.

      Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
      Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
      I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.