[bolger] Glue

  • Teakdeck@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 1999
      Hello fellow boat builders,

      I am allergic to epoxy. Just being in the same garage with the stuff makes my
      face turn red and puffy. So I have used mostly weldwood, but I'm curious
      about the "new" glues on the market. The PL ???? and 3M5200?

      I have some work to do on my Windsprint mast partners. Specifically, I need
      to glue down to the hull bottom a customized block of wood on short legs with
      a hole in it for the mast. What glue would you recommend?

      Mike Masten
    • John Bell
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 1999
        Epoxy would be the best. But it is not the only way to skin a cat.

        Given your condition, dogging the thing down with a handful of wood screws
        would be the easiest and lowest health-risk alternative. I'd probably bed it
        in 5200 (available at Home Depot!) just to be safe. Plug and fair the screw
        heads with Bondo.

        John Bell
        Kennesaw, GA
        jmbell@...
        http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com

        > I am allergic to epoxy. Just being in the same garage with the stuff makes
        my
        > face turn red and puffy. So I have used mostly weldwood, but I'm curious
        > about the "new" glues on the market. The PL ???? and 3M5200?
        >
        > I have some work to do on my Windsprint mast partners. Specifically, I
        need
        > to glue down to the hull bottom a customized block of wood on short legs
        with
        > a hole in it for the mast. What glue would you recommend?
        >
        > Mike Masten

        > Meet your Match! CLICK HERE to go to One & Only Internet Personals
        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1705

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=bolger&m=1

      • Robert Lundy
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 1999
          Hi Mike:

          I've had good luck with the PL polyurethane on a variety of projects.
          There's some of it here and there in the windsprint, although I used
          epoxy for the big jobs. I've also used Weldwood for things like gluing
          up the two layers of the daggerboard. Both work really well, but
          remember, neither are gap filling so the fit of the wood pieces must be
          good. PL is really cheap and you don't have to mix it up!

          Robert Lundy

          teakdec-@... wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1004
          > Hello fellow boat builders,
          >
          > I am allergic to epoxy. Just being in the same garage with the stuff
          makes my
          > face turn red and puffy. So I have used mostly weldwood, but I'm
          curious
          > about the "new" glues on the market. The PL ???? and 3M5200?
          >
          > I have some work to do on my Windsprint mast partners. Specifically,
          I need
          > to glue down to the hull bottom a customized block of wood on short
          legs with
          > a hole in it for the mast. What glue would you recommend?
          >
          > Mike Masten
        • Leander Harding
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 1999
            Dear Mike,
            I am sensitive to most chemicals. Haven't gotten alergic to epoxy yet
            but developed a skin rash from using the PL Foaming Glue. My Gypsy mast
            was made with Weldwood and is nine years old and going strong. The
            marine caulk type products are pretty oderiforous in my experience and
            based on my experience with the Polyurethane glue I am staying away
            from them. I am going to use Titebond II, a weatherproof carpenters
            glue and plenty of screws on the gunwales of the Folding Schooner.
            Epoxy on the chines. Weldwood is probably fine for a boat that doesn't
            live in the water. There is an outfit in WoodenBoat that advertises
            alternatives to epoxy but I think you have to buy in relatively large
            quantities. Resourcinol is also an option. Good Luck.

            Leander

            teakdec-@... wrote:

            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1004
            > Hello fellow boat builders,
            >
            > I am allergic to epoxy. Just being in the same garage with the stuff
            makes my
            > face turn red and puffy. So I have used mostly weldwood, but I'm
            curious
            > about the "new" glues on the market. The PL ???? and 3M5200?
            >
            > I have some work to do on my Windsprint mast partners. Specifically,
            I need
            > to glue down to the hull bottom a customized block of wood on short
            legs with
            > a hole in it for the mast. What glue would you recommend?
            >
            > Mike Masten
          • GHC
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 1999
              5200 is odorless and seemingly benign, very tough, though slow-curing
              (there is a fast cure also).

              GHC

              At 06:43 AM 11/30/1999 -0800, you wrote:
              >Dear Mike,
              > I am sensitive to most chemicals. Haven't gotten alergic to epoxy yet
              >but developed a skin rash from using the PL Foaming Glue. My Gypsy mast
              >was made with Weldwood and is nine years old and going strong. The
              >marine caulk type products are pretty oderiforous in my experience and
              >based on my experience with the Polyurethane glue I am staying away
              >from them. I am going to use Titebond II, a weatherproof carpenters
              >glue and plenty of screws on the gunwales of the Folding Schooner.
              >Epoxy on the chines. Weldwood is probably fine for a boat that doesn't
              >live in the water. There is an outfit in WoodenBoat that advertises
              >alternatives to epoxy but I think you have to buy in relatively large
              >quantities. Resourcinol is also an option. Good Luck.
              >
              >Leander
              >

              >teakdec-@... wrote:
              >

              >original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1004
              >> Hello fellow boat builders,
              >>
              >> I am allergic to epoxy. Just being in the same garage with the stuff
              >makes my
              >> face turn red and puffy. So I have used mostly weldwood, but I'm
              >curious
              >> about the "new" glues on the market. The PL ???? and 3M5200?
              >>
              >> I have some work to do on my Windsprint mast partners. Specifically,
              >I need
              >> to glue down to the hull bottom a customized block of wood on short
              >legs with
              >> a hole in it for the mast. What glue would you recommend?
              >>
              >> Mike Masten

              >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/

            • Leander Harding
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 1999
                I haven't tried the 5200. I did try another 3M product I am not sure of
                the # but it was recommended for seating hardware that might have to be
                removed. It came in a caulk tube and in a small toothpaste tube. I
                bought the toothpaste tube for installing the block of teak that held
                the cam cleat for the leeboard on our Sea Pearl. I did find it had a
                strong chemical smell like a very strong oil based primer. Years ago I
                used a product called LifeCaulk that I found had a strong odor.

                I looked at the 5200 both regular and fast cure at our local West
                Marine and got scared by the dire warnings about smelling the fumes on
                the label. Based on Gregg's recommendation I am going to try it,
                probably on the gunwales of aft hull of the Folding Schooner.West
                Marine also has a store brand that seems the same ingredients as the
                regular 5200 for about $2 less a tube.

                I think chemical sensitivity varies tremendously by individual. I have
                a hard time staying in a store like West Marine for very long because
                the vinyl smell bothers me so much.

                I am very interested in hearing about glues and paints that are
                effective and have low vocs.

                Leander

                ghc <ghart-@...> wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1009
                > 5200 is odorless and seemingly benign, very tough, though slow-curing
                > (there is a fast cure also).
                >
                > GHC
                >
                > At 06:43 AM 11/30/1999 -0800, you wrote:
                > >Dear Mike,
                > > I am sensitive to most chemicals. Haven't gotten alergic to epoxy
                yet
                > >but developed a skin rash from using the PL Foaming Glue. My Gypsy
                mast
                > >was made with Weldwood and is nine years old and going strong. The
                > >marine caulk type products are pretty oderiforous in my experience
                and
                > >based on my experience with the Polyurethane glue I am staying away
                > >from them. I am going to use Titebond II, a weatherproof carpenters
                > >glue and plenty of screws on the gunwales of the Folding Schooner.
                > >Epoxy on the chines. Weldwood is probably fine for a boat that
                doesn't
                > >live in the water. There is an outfit in WoodenBoat that advertises
                > >alternatives to epoxy but I think you have to buy in relatively large
                > >quantities. Resourcinol is also an option. Good Luck.
                > >
                > >Leander
                > >

                > >teakdec-@... wrote:
                > >

                > >original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1004
                > >> Hello fellow boat builders,
                > >>
                > >> I am allergic to epoxy. Just being in the same garage with the
                stuff
                > >makes my
                > >> face turn red and puffy. So I have used mostly weldwood, but I'm
                > >curious
                > >> about the "new" glues on the market. The PL ???? and 3M5200?
                > >>
                > >> I have some work to do on my Windsprint mast partners.
                Specifically,
                > >I need
                > >> to glue down to the hull bottom a customized block of wood on short
                > >legs with
                > >> a hole in it for the mast. What glue would you recommend?
                > >>
                > >> Mike Masten

              • Fritz Funk
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 1999
                  > I am very interested in hearing about glues and paints that are
                  > effective and have low vocs.

                  The Gorilla brand of foaming polyurethane touts itself as very low in
                  solvents - they make a big deal of it in their advertising, e.g.
                  http://www.gorillaglue.com/faq.html
                  They say it is "100% solvent free" and odorless, and can be used on
                  food preparation surfaces.
                  Other polyurethanes have label warnings about solvents, and I think
                  they are different in that regard. I've noticed some very minor odors
                  with other polyurethanes (like PL), but not with Gorilla.
                  My only bone of contention with Gorilla is the price!
                  At any rate, I'm interested in using this stuff more around kids, so
                  I'd be curious to hear if a solvent-sensitive person can handle being
                  around the Gorilla brand, vs the other polyurethane brands like PL.
                  That sensitivity certainly gives you an extra challenge to overcome in
                  boatbuilding!

                  --Fritz