9127Re: folding schooner in Aust.

  • Richard Sharp
    Jan 2, 2001
      Slathering the epoxy on the board and the glass on the bottom of the
      board were to seal the board edges, trying to keep them from opening
      up the grain when I scraped them running aground. I think that is
      why the first ones warped. I do not think it is necessary to thicken
      the boards, just try not to run aground!
      Rich Sharp
      --- In bolger@egroups.com, "Peter Vanderwaart" <pvanderw@o...> wrote:
      > > I made new
      > > boards and ran a fiberglass strip along the bottom edge and made
      > sure
      > > the board was slathered good with epoxy.
      > I would doubt that epoxy alone would make the boards much stiffer,
      > but I think a layer of glass in epoxy would stiffen them alot. You
      > could experiment. Of course, you need to make sure they don't get
      > thick for the daggerboard cases.
      > Jacques Mertens at www.bateau.com designs 'composite' boats with
      > glass over plywood cores. The glass layers are not thick, but are
      > essential part of the construction.
      > Peter
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic