8367Re: Glass-bottomed boats

  • Vince Chew
    Nov 9, 2000
      The hood could actually be a watertight well around the viewing port so
      that even if the glass leaked or shattered the boat would not take on
      water. I think I would stick with laminated glass. Lexan would soon get
      scratched and discolor. Somewhere I recall that Bolger discussed using
      a black mastic that comes in tape form and is used to seal car
      windshields.

      Vince Chew

      --- In bolger@egroups.com, Stan Muller <smuller@i...> wrote:
      > Garth,
      > Many years ago, a friend of my father, fixed up a row boat (glass
      > bottomed) and all us local kids had a great deal of fun in it.
      > (Including kids my Dad's age.)
      > It was a flat side window from a car, the sandwich type safety glass,
      > set into a frame about two thirds back from the bow right along side of
      > the keel. He also put a skedge on the outside of it to help protect it
      > from grounding. If I were do it, I would not use epoxy, I would use a
      > good grade of clear silicon to allow it to flex. (the original was set
      > into some type of roofing tar)
      > As important as the glass and it's mount, was the hood he built, to
      > keep the sun off the glass, You could see four times more with the hood
      > as you could with out it. It was like a large inverted square funnel.
      > He must have done it right, because it was played with by the kids I
      > ran with, and was still in use by a whole new bunch of kids when I got
      > out of the navy.
      > I hope this helps,
      > Stan, Snow Goose.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic