8361Glass-bottomed boats

  • Garth Battista
    Nov 9, 2000
      I was thinking of building a Michalak Piragua to go paddling with my
      kids on the local river -- clear, shallow water full of fish,
      turtles, frogs, beavers, old boots, sunken treasure, etc.

      I remember reading somewhere that it's possible to cut a sizable hole
      in the bottom of your boat and replace it with plexiglas or lexan,
      seal it up with epoxy and have a little viewing portal in the bottom
      of your boat. This sounds like great fun for kids (including 37-year-
      old kids).

      Anyone ever tried this? Recommendations for the strongest or most
      scratch resistant plastic?

      All best,
      Garth
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic