8122Re: Computing Displacement

  • freedem@excite.com
    Nov 1, 2000
      Mr Bolger's designs are very well thought out as boats and also as to
      usage of wood ( Little waste) perhapse if you were to study some
      other designs of Mr Bolger another design might be closer to your
      needs I built a surf and she is still the prettyest small boat to my
      eye
      Jeffery

      --- In bolger@egroups.com, pnwtexan@h... wrote:

      > I am new to the group and I have never built a boat. I am finding
      the
      > emails interesting to say the least. I have owned several
      > "Tupperware" and metal boats, but I want to build one of my own. I
      > want a Punt because of the flat bottom and the squared off ends. I
      > like the simplicity of the Elegant Punt, but I need a larger boat.
      > Therefore, I am considering the bastardization of a proven design.
      > bought the plans from "Dynamite" Payson for the Elegant Punt and I
      am
      > playing with the idea of widening the beam from 37" to 46" across
      the
      > bottom of the boat and lengthening the overall boat by 48".
      > Additionally, I will probably leave the line of the shear, straight,
      > instead of putting in the curve from the plans. I am in no way a
      > physics or geometry major and it seems like some of you are (or
      should
      > be). However, when I have made these changes to the plans and built
      > them into models, the outcome looks like a boat I would like to fish
      > out of on the local lakes, here, in Washington state.
      >
      > My concern, and or questions are whether or not increasing the width
      > by @24% and the length by @52% will net a proportionate increase in
      > the capacity of the boat?
      >
      > The displacement, according to the plans is 600 pounds. Therefore,
      > widening the boat by 24% will increase the capacity to 744 pounds
      and
      > lengthening the boat by 52% will increase the capacity to 1131
      pounds?

      > Rig
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic