8104Re: [bolger] Computing Displacement

  • Derek Waters
    Oct 31, 2000
      No math god either, I'm finding hull design increasingly fascinating -
      definitely one of those situations where the more you learn , the more there
      is to learn :) There are some great freeware/shareware software packages out
      there for doing the 'grunt work' calculation in basic hull design. My
      current favourite is Gregg Carlson's Chine Hull Designer (available in the
      Vault). Ten minutes typing the values from your re-design into the program
      and you can see visually the results of the changes.

      At the risk of teaching my grandmother to suck eggs; a couple of words of
      caution - when you modify a hull design by differing proportions (as opposed
      to simply scaling all the dimensions up or down by a uniform percentage) the
      resultant hull will not behave in the same way as the original. The 600lb
      quoted is of course a maximum load, and not the displacement at the
      waterline shown on the plans.

      See http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/redesign.htm#start :)

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic