78[bolger] Re: sneakbox impressions

  • bradford@dynasty.net
    Aug 3, 1999
      Don't rely on me here, but I doubt if a fair bottom will get you near
      30mph. Each successive unit of speed comes dearer than the last; a
      wild guess says your gain will be pretty small (a 50% gain is
      enormous.)

      Is the performance near your expectations, or did you expect 30mph on
      25hp?
      Also, how does she handle at manuevering speeds?

      (Is that the Kerr-cLellan channel you speak of?)

      <3.0.6.32.19990803100542.00880e4-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=75
      > Hi,
      >
      > The Sneakeasy is 4' wide (I think there is another boat by Jim
      Michalak
      > called the Sneakbox), but is very stable. As with all Bolger's square
      > boats, the chine extends out as far as you can stand. Standing on a
      > gunnel, you would have a tough time pushing that chine, 20+ feet of
      it,
      > down very far in the water. Initial stability is very high.
      >
      > I thought a lot about an inboard diesel in the Sneakeasy. I built it
      for
      > the navigation channel, with the first stop at 100 miles. Economy,
      range,
      > and speed with the 2-cycle 25 are just OK. I had 2 props pitched at
      13 and
      > 15 inches (I think): both gave me the same speed - about 20 mph -
      but the
      > flat prop seem to run loud (high rpm) and burned all my gas (20 gal)
      and
      > the high pitch ran more quiet with about 1/3 less fuel at 100 miles.
      > still want more like 30 mph, so I plan to fair the bottom and maybe
      add
      > horsepower.
      >
      > Yes, I can plot patterns.
      >
      > Gregg
      >

      > At 11:17 PM 8/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
      > >I saw the Sneakbox on the Carlson Designs web page. Such a unique
      and
      > >charming boat. I've heard it's similar to the Tennessee and Idaho,
      is that
      > >correct?
      > >
      > >What is the beam of the Sneakbox? The narrowness of these things is
      just
      > >shocking, but I suppose if you widen it 8"-12" you'd really
      compromise the
      > >efficiency of the design.
      > >
      > >What is your reaction to building the Idaho with a full skeg and
      amidships
      > >inboard? I'm studying a 1200cc Subaru conversion, prop limited to
      about 35
      > >hp. Very light (230# all up) and compact. If space is not
      prohibitive in
      > >that skinny hull I'd like to use a 27 hp Universal diesel (under 350#
      > >rigged. Imagine the range you would have!
      > >
      > >Say, Gregg, could you cut a set of patterns for a guy?

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic