70453Re: [bolger] Raise sheer height of Work Skiff?

  • Matthew Hall
    Jul 25, 2014
      All good points, and again, no offense taken.  The reason I had gone down this road in the first place was because Jim does mention that stiffening up the bottom of AF4 Casa with a shoe of some type would be a good idea.  Right about that time I had discovered the plans for Work Skiff, so it kind of clicked.  Then I started thinking about the fact that Work Skiff was narrower (or maybe it's not) and leaned toward that a bit, but was a little off put by the lack of freeboard as compared to AF4 Casa.  So for me it comes down to AF4 Casa with a shoe (which is kind of recommended by the designer) or Work Skiff with a raised sheer height of some kind, whether a coaming or otherwise.

      On Friday, July 25, 2014 2:57 PM, "'John Kohnen' jhkohnen@... [bolger]" <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      AF4 Casa is quite a bit narrower than 6' beam at and near the bottom,
      probably 5' wide on the bottom, since the regular AF4 is 5' wide at the
      sheer and probably 4' wide at the bottom, for efficient plywood use. Built
      as drawn, the AF4 Casa will be a lot lighter than a Work Skiff, and should
      perform better with 9.9 hp.

      http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/af4casa/

      I don't understand why you want to make a morphodite Work Skiff/AF4 Casa.
      <shrug> They're both Good Boats, in their different ways. Both designers
      knew what they were doing. Do you? I don't mean that as an insult, but I
      am puzzled why so many amateur (and even professional!) builders think
      they know better than the designer. <sigh> At least a relatively simple
      boat like a Work Skiff of AF4 Casa won't be a terribly expensive or time
      consuming disaster if your "improvements" don't work... (I'm all for
      experimenting with design on cheap little boats). Why not just build one
      or the other?

      I think an AF4 Casa built to the plans would work just fine for your use.

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)