70451Re: [bolger] Raise sheer height of Work Skiff?

  • John Kohnen
    Jul 25, 2014
      AF4 Casa is quite a bit narrower than 6' beam at and near the bottom,
      probably 5' wide on the bottom, since the regular AF4 is 5' wide at the
      sheer and probably 4' wide at the bottom, for efficient plywood use. Built
      as drawn, the AF4 Casa will be a lot lighter than a Work Skiff, and should
      perform better with 9.9 hp.

      I don't understand why you want to make a morphodite Work Skiff/AF4 Casa.
      <shrug> They're both Good Boats, in their different ways. Both designers
      knew what they were doing. Do you? I don't mean that as an insult, but I
      am puzzled why so many amateur (and even professional!) builders think
      they know better than the designer. <sigh> At least a relatively simple
      boat like a Work Skiff of AF4 Casa won't be a terribly expensive or time
      consuming disaster if your "improvements" don't work... (I'm all for
      experimenting with design on cheap little boats). Why not just build one
      or the other?

      I think an AF4 Casa built to the plans would work just fine for your use.

      On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:14:28 -0700, Matthew H wrote:

      > In pouring over the designs of Work Skiff and AF4 further, I thought
      > about the beam to length ratios of both boats. Work Skiff is 18' x 5'
      > whereas AF4 is 18' x 6'. ...

      John (jkohnen@...)
      I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns
      it on, I go to the library and read a good book. (Groucho Marx)
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic