70443RE: [bolger] Raise sheer height of Work Skiff?

  • John Trussell
    Jul 24, 2014

      Matthew-

      Every boat is a balancing act between conflicting desires. Some things to consider:

      Work Skiff has vertical (plumb) sides, so a five foot beam equals a 5 ft wide bottom. AF4 has flared sides and while I don’t have a set of AF4 plans, I think that AF4’s bottom is somewhat narrower than it’s six ft beam—somewhere between 5 ft and 5 ft 6 inches, so the loss of floor space is probably somewhat less than 10 sq ft and may be zero.

      There is an adage in risk management, “There is no sense in trying to make things foolproof because fools are so ingenious.” This is true of small children as well. Small children start by climbing out of their cribs (how high are crib sides?) and end up on the roof with a couple of friends seeing who can pee the farthest. Buy good PFD’s for your children and make sure they wear them. If they go overboard, they will float until you can pick them up and they may learn from the experience.

      Boats like Work Skiff and AF4 draw very little water and are subject to being blown around by the wind. This is particularly true at slow speed as dictated by a 9.9 hp engine. Increasing the sheer height by 25% will increase windage by 25%.

      Having said all that, one of the advantages of building your own boat is that you get to have the boat you think you want.

      Have fun.

      JohnT