70442Raise sheer height of Work Skiff?

  • Matthew Hall
    Jul 24, 2014
      In pouring over the designs of Work Skiff and AF4 further, I thought about the beam to length ratios of both boats.  Work Skiff is 18' x  5' whereas AF4 is 18'  x  6'.  With the HP restrictions on my lakes (9.9 Max) I need all the help I can get, so I believe Work Skiff has a slight advantage.  Of course I lose about 10 SF of cockpit space and the associated buoyancy, but it may end up being worth it.  Work Skiff does bring up another issue though-sheer height and freeboard.

      At 1400lbs displacement, my expected load, Work Skiff should draft about 4".  At the lowest point, this yields about 14" of freeboard-not a lot, in my opinion.  Increasing sheer height 6" across the board would give me 20" of freeboard and a 24" deep boat at the lowest point, which would give me peace of mind for two reasons.  First, the increased freeboard as we'll be out on lakes where the wind can kick up unexpectedly at times, and next, because I'll have little ones in the boat.  Higher sides will help to keep curious toddlers from toddling overboard.

      This will definitely increase plywood usage, though the side planking is only nested with some components of the shoe, but I may have another idea for that (to be discussed later)-the transom and bulkheads will need to be higher of course.  What I am not sure about is whether or not this will affect the boat in unforeseen ways that I'm not experienced enough to anticipate.  For example, with a 6" increase in sheer height, how much more of a factor will the wind become?  I've heard many AF4 owners complain about wind when they're at anchor, but not so much when they're underway.  I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

      Thanks,

      Matthew
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic