70307Re: [bolger] Poor Man's Ljungsrom

  • Bente Støa
    Jun 6, 2014
      From Bente Støa
      Teoraticly, thise boats are lightweighted, so smaller sail may work better than full sail?

      Stavanger, 6th June 2014

      When I made that little simplified version of the Ljungstrøm rig for a friend’s boat, it was because his wife asked for the simplest, safest and most fuss-free rig I could think of. With its easy setting up, reefing and furling, and with only one running line, the sheet, I think I came pretty close. The rig was in use for over 20 years, until they parted with the boat. The rig’s good upwind performance came as a surprising bonus.

      (I repeat the link to that story: http://goo.gl/Nu6nOu  )

      I agree with Bolger in some of his critics when it comes to the full size Lj-rig for bigger boats. The main problem, in my view, is the scale factor: As boats grow, their displacement tends to grow faster than the sail area. A decent sail area for a 3-ton LJ-rigged boat would call for a very tall and well-engineered mast and serious mechanics to rotate it.

      The unpretentious little rig for that rowboat however was easy to make and use. The full-length battens (wood) were simply added to get maximum sail area with the shortest possible mast. I don’t claim it to be a world beater which will fit every boat.

      Now, it is not easy to find any rig’s strong and weak sides at the keyboard, so I suggest you make one and try it yourselves.

      Cheers and good luck!

      Arne Kverneland

      PS:

      BTW, most of my rig fiddling the last 20+ years has been done on junkrigs. Here is a link to a page with some write-ups about that subject.

      http://www.junkrigassociation.org/arne

      http://goo.gl/

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic