70277Bolger Long Light Dory: auxiliary sail?

  • brianincorv
    May 22 6:30 PM

      I was looking at Payson's chapter in BTNIB on the stretched light dory, and was wondering about whether a small auxiliary sprit sail would be do-able.  I know what Bolger thought about trying to sail one of these, so I want to make it clear that I'm not thinking in terms of making the dory into a sailboat!  I'm just talking about a small (say, 50 square feet or less), sprit or other sail, combined with a steering oar, for use in when there's a nice following wind.  It seems to me that a boat that rows as well as one of these stretched dories seems to, would be better off only using a sail off the wind anyway.  Of course, in the U.S., this leads to title and registration requirements in just about any state.

      So: no center, dagger, lee or any other board.  No rudder.  Just a little simple rig for downwind. For upwind, one would probably make better progress by rowing while the small sailboats are tacking.  Kayaks sometimes use small sails downwind.

      What do you think?

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic