70270RE: [bolger] Decapitating a Micro

  • brianincorv
    May 12 2:22 AM

      Thanks, John. The more I looked at it, the more I think it's not worth it for me to try, although I think it would work quite well. I certainly think it would be a viable option for a builder contemplating a new build of either an Oldshoe or Micro. I was fairly conservative on my weight estimate, because nearly every piece of wood removed in the "surgery" is replaced lower down in the new interior in the form of the watertight compartments and the bench seating. The gain is in the loss of the upper sides and the cabin hatch structure and cargo hatch structure. My idea of the mast being part of the forward transom wouldn't work. I forgot that the placement is a bit further aft, but that's easily taken care of with a transom gate. A tabernacle on any Micro would be a great improvement (I think some have them), as I find that climbing over the cabin top with the mast when the boat is on the trailer is the worst part of rigging and de-rigging.

      I'm hoping to get Dreadnought in the water for a sail next week.  I really believe the Micro is a brilliant design as a very small cruiser; it's just not the best casual daysailer, especially for more than two people.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic