      From: Darrell
      Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:02 PM
      Subject: [bolger] Re: #501 35' sailing scow houseboat

      If anybody knows the Bolger designs it would be you, M'am. Thank you for illuminating the subject for me, and thanks to the others who have shown a genuine interest in considering the attributes of #501. When I was looking for Sailing Houseboat Scows I also came across Tillicum, a Garden design. http://triloboats.blogspot.com/2011/12/tale-of-two-scows.html

      I bought the book that contains some drawings, and according to Garden, Tillicum "can go anywhere", but is better suited as a coastal cruiser. It draws 24" as opposed to #501's 18", and has a center board/keel. Any thoughts about this vessel's suitability for long term, secure, and comfortable family living? With the ability to change locations under it's own power? Another thing that to me is of highest importance is the that the sailing houseboat has enough room to make for quality living. That is what #501, and Tillicum, have to offer. And of course shoal draft.

      Susanne, do you have a recommendation for a suitable "bug-out" boat?
      I have seen images of generations of Chinese living aboard junks, and there is some historical data on "The Sea Peoples", different tribes who escaped from hostile threats by taking to the sea for refuge. They grew in power and conquered parts of Egypt. The Dutch indeed have lived aboard houseboats and scows forever, but of course the idea of a bug-out boat is to search for safety in a relatively remote area away from threats.

      I guess my qwest to develope a 'PROOF OF CONCEPT" is actually an attempt to collect emperical data on as many aspects, attribures, variables, and impediments to successful, and possibly prosperouse, long term survival in a "sailing houseboat". My interest in answering these questions may, possibly, be unique to me.

      --- In mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com, <philbolger@...> wrote:

      > Or you could talk to me to find
      out what ‘else’ might be available. Whether for Doomsday Scenaria, or just offshore and inshore cruising, or just living-aboard without much long-distance ambitions â€" whichever particular angle (and they shift...) â€" you’d want a rugged shallow-draft type that can sit more or less upright on the more or less level mud/sand, or do the Atlantic. And of that ‘persuasion’ we’ve done a few of in both wood and steel construction. With more doable !
      And there is indeed no reason to give up on high degrees of sinking-resistance as long as the design bears this attribute in mind since earliest concept-stages.