69903RE: RE: Re: [bolger] RE: AS-29 for sale

  • mkriley48
    Oct 14, 2013
      I anchored for years with a  bow and stern anchor with no problems.
      after you set the stern anchor you walk the rode to the bow!
      take most of the slack out. You need to know how to do this as there are many places that this needs to be done.
      google bahamian moor
      mike

      ---In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      That's interesting.  I was going to unreservedly recommend bow and stern anchors before reading your post.  Of course, an unballasted 14' 5" Michalak Philsboat birdwatcher and a 41' Morgan are chalk and cheese.

      I anchor my Philsboat parallel to the shore, fore and aft on long scopes.  I leave the offset centreboard down to stop roll and the tiller to lee, so that the rudder is constantly trying to turn the boat into the wind.

      I've slept relatively comfortably this way on the windward side in winds gusting to 25 knots, because the open slot was parallel to the on-shore wind, so I was sheltered under the slot decks.

      I've also anchored stern too, which stops yawing, but I found the wave slap on the stern to be very annoying and of course the wind comes straight through the slot.

      So for my situation, anchoring side on rather than fore and aft, seems to be the best solution.

      Cheers,

      Rob.

      ---In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Careful with that stern anchor. I once anchored a Morgan 41 OI. fore and aft in Longboat Pass in Fl.
      We woke up at dawn with the boat sideways to a falling tide with both rodes tight as a drum . The tide runs about 4 knots and the boat was healed about 30 degrees. The lines were so tight I could not free them from the cleats. I tied a boat cushion to the aft line and cut it with a knife. It acted like a cut bow string. When the boat swung straight I used the dink to retrieve the aft anchor and rode.I then motored up on the bow anchor ,created slack and free the line from the cleat. the Anchor was so embedded in the sand bottom I had to motor over it to dislodge it.
      Never made that mistake again. BTW  almost all sinkings of small boats are cause by waves entering the boat from the stern being held down by a stern anchor. Careful . Rocky