      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      From: a.c.l.yen@...
      Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 19:22:15 -0700
      Subject: [bolger] RE: Paint, Glass or Dynel for my cockpit

      I have another smaller trailer boat that doesn't get looked after as well as it should (I spend my spare time building the Chebacco, not maintaining the old boat the Chebacco will eventually replace.)  I have found the foredeck suffers the most from weather and damage, so I will go with glass and epoxy on the deck and in the cockpit.

      I have acquired some tins of Dulux Aquanamel http://www.dulux.com.au/products/dulux-interior-products/trim/product-detail?product=2184 which I intend to use on the deck and in the cockpit.  It is water based but higher gloss and hardness than your average acrylic paint.  It is used for doors and trim, inside and outside houses. I have noticed that the acrylic paint on my Cartopper  and on my Eureka Canoe tends to rub off where it comes in contact with the trailer etc.  Hopefully the Aquanamel will provide the benefits of acrylic with the hardness of an oil based paint.

      Any thoughts or experience on this sort of paint?

      Andrew

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <goodboat@...> wrote:

      I don’t mean to argue with those who advise glassing plywood in deck and cockpit areas, but I do want to register the advantages of not doing so. Let’s remember the savings in epoxy and fiberglass and time and labor and weight. Let’s remember that only fir plywood checks badly. Oukoume doesn’t and of course still better mahogany plywoods don’t. Let’s remember that plywood glassed on both sides can’t get rid of moisture and will rot fast f it does get wet, and that moisture will follow the grain in laminates of plywood a long long way. Let’s remember that paint breathes vapor pretty freely, while it does seal and protect against wear and water. In short, for most small plywood trailer-sailers and other dry-sailed plywood boats, paint is fine for cockpits and decks. I would only prime with epoxy after sanding and shaping fillets and while giving them and the tapes their final coat of epoxy. I leave off what glass I can, even topsides, and I use very light glass anywhere I do use it, mainly to guarantee a uniform layer of epoxy, except on bottoms.

      These observations come from a builder who finds modern “composite� boatbuilding, with plywood and fiberglass and epoxy, almost too slow and laborious! Oh for joints put together once and fastened and done with, so neat and clean! Just think how fast you could build a dory, traditionally. Paint it and go rowing, while the rest of us Instant Boatmakers are still coating and grinding and laying on glass.

      Dynel, by the way, as we’ve used it on Reuben’s restorations of the Sound Inter Clubs, for decks and cabin-tops, is more texture than I’d want, myself. A little sand in the paint, as Susanne suggests, over glass, would be enough, and save weight and money.

      De gustibus non est disputandum.  Mason