69818RE: Paint, Glass or Dynel for my cockpit

  • proaconstrictor
    Sep 4, 2013
      I had some luck keeping my boat covered, until I moved it near the water.  Brand new tarp didn't last the first  month with the gusts we get across our bay.  And we are sheltered compared to many.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I am thinking about what to coat the cockpit plywood with in my Chebacco 25 build. (that indicates that I am getting closer to finished - the cockpit is almost finished and the cabin structure is being built ).

      From what I have read and experienced with other boats, I should be glassing the foredeck to protect from checking and damage .  I might use Dynel as an alternative as it did pretty well on the bottom of my Cartopper.

      But if the foredeck needs protecting then surely the cockpit will need similar.

      What advice/experience is there for how much coating is enough.  Epoxy+paint? Epoxy+glass+paint?, what paint?.  The boat will basically be a trailer sailer so should have a cover on it most of the time - but "should" doesn't mean that it won't blow off.

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic