69817RE: Paint, Glass or Dynel for my cockpit

  • proaconstrictor
    Sep 4, 2013

      I have never regretted glassing anything.  I remember the first large project I did when I read that the whole boat inside and out, that was to the weather, needed to be glassed.  I was outraged, what excess.  But it all reduces maintenance in the long run.  Detailing is very important though, one needs to be sure there aren't any penetrations, or potential for zippers.  It isn't necesarry to go heavy on many boats, you aren't going to let your wear go through the paint.  So 4 oz is normally ample, use good epoxy.  Good epoxy, glass, and ok ply work extremely well together, and are worries about more flexible epoxies and clothes are misplaced.  There are plenty of 40 year old plus boats out there without any problems.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <bolger@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I am thinking about what to coat the cockpit plywood with in my Chebacco 25 build. (that indicates that I am getting closer to finished - the cockpit is almost finished and the cabin structure is being built ).

      From what I have read and experienced with other boats, I should be glassing the foredeck to protect from checking and damage .  I might use Dynel as an alternative as it did pretty well on the bottom of my Cartopper.

      But if the foredeck needs protecting then surely the cockpit will need similar.

      What advice/experience is there for how much coating is enough.  Epoxy+paint? Epoxy+glass+paint?, what paint?.  The boat will basically be a trailer sailer so should have a cover on it most of the time - but "should" doesn't mean that it won't blow off.

      Andrew
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic