      Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 10:02 AM
      Subject: Re: [bolger] Paint, Glass or Dynel for my cockpit

      Good question.
      After all this work, I’d go conservative.
      Glass-cloth in epoxy, plus paint (with non-slip in wet paint plus another coat), all for physical wear and protection from the effects of sun/heat, whether afloat or on wheels.
      Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

      Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:52 AM
      Subject: [bolger] Paint, Glass or Dynel for my cockpit

      I am thinking about what to coat the cockpit plywood with in my Chebacco 25 build. (that indicates that I am getting closer to finished - the cockpit is almost finished and the cabin structure is being built ).

      From what I have read and experienced with other boats, I should be glassing the foredeck to protect from checking and damage .  I might use Dynel as an alternative as it did pretty well on the bottom of my Cartopper.

      But if the foredeck needs protecting then surely the cockpit will need similar.

      What advice/experience is there for how much coating is enough.  Epoxy+paint? Epoxy+glass+paint?, what paint?.  The boat will basically be a trailer sailer so should have a cover on it most of the time - but "should" doesn't mean that it won't blow off.

      Andrew
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic