69716Re: Need advice on Micro mast step

  • David
    Jul 15, 2013
      Liam

      This is the beauty of the internet. You get input from all over the world but we don't usually agree on what we would do (or anything else for that matter).

      I've just checked my Micro plans, and they show the 12" x 12" x 1 1/2" mast step (number 32) sitting on cleats 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" (number 31).

      Mason is right in that it will be easier not to modify the mast. Just:

      - extend the hole in the mast step to where it should be (I'd just use a jigsaw - on a block if necessary) taking care the blade can't hit the bottom in the bow.
      - cut a filler block to patch the surplus 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" hole
      - Add a 12" x 12" x 1" doubler on top of the mast step to reinforce and hold everything together including the filler block
      - Epoxy and screw the whole thing together.
      - Forget about it. No one will ever know and the boat won't mind.

      (I probably would have done it the difficult way, and the boat wouldn't have minded either).

      Best regards,

      David

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mason smith" <masonsmith@...> wrote:

      > Arrgh! Take nothing off the foot of the mast whatever you do.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic