69715RE: [bolger] Re: Need advice on Micro mast step

  • mason smith
    Jul 15, 2013

      Arrgh! Take nothing off the foot of the mast whatever you do.

      From: bolger@yahoogroups.com [mailto:bolger@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David
      Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 11:53 AM
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [bolger] Re: Need advice on Micro mast step

      Liam

      I would enlarge the hole in the existing step by half the mast section and notch the bottom of the mast by the same amount so the mast ends in the correct location when pushed forward, ensuring it has something solid to bear on.

      I would then add a plywood "doubler" over the original mast step with a hole cut in the right place for the mast and a filler piece for the excess hole in the original step screwed and glued to the bottom of the doubler. Once checked for fit, I would epoxy the doubler and filler in place and forget it was ever wrong.

      Otherwise, removing the mast step and putting in a new one isn't as daunting as it looks. If you remove any bolts/screws you can find, a hammer and chisel will go quite fast for the bulk of it if you decide to go that way. I find coarse sandpaper disks in my 4 1/2" angle grinder make impressively quick work of any wood. You want to avoid this if there is epoxy and glass involved though.

      David
      Santiago, Chile

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

      > Hmmm. I am thinking that options 2and3 are best. I am concerned that the rake induced by the wrong location of the step will through the rigs balance off.
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Liam the Librarian" <liamhe@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've purchased a partially completed Micro along with plans. The plans
      > > call for the mast step opening to be 10 inches from the back of the hole
      > > to the front of the boat. Right now it is 10 inches from the front of
      > > the hole. The step is bolted and glued. Partners, etc. have not been
      > > built
      > > Here are my possible options:
      > > 1. do nothing and move partners, etc. aft
      > > 2. try to cut the step out and replace
      > > 3. make hole in the step larger and put plate or something to bring
      > > it back to proper size.
      > > I'm leaning towards #3 as I am nervous changing Bolger's proportions and
      > > I'm afraid I'll break other things removing the current step. I've tried
      > > a gentle pry and nothing seems remotely close the budging.
      > > Do people have other ideas. If not which approach should I take?

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic