69453Re: lady slipper

  • Andrew
    Apr 7, 2013
      I dusted off my copy of Different Boats and turned to Chapter 2.  I see now that the 7'6" boat designed "for men to give as presents to their wives" is not the same one that Hallman shows at

      The correct Ladyslipper is 7'6" x 5' x 1'11" leg-o-mutton Teal sail 236 lbs empty.

      The keel on this dinghy  is indeed interesting, it appears to be a flat triangular board, 1" thick, about 1'8" deep (below the keelson) at the aft end, sloping up and meeting the keelson at the forward end.  The keel is attached with a "cove" which I interpret to be an epoxy fillet to the bottom of the hull.

      In Different Boats Phil describes this drawing as the fastest he has ever drawn up a design.  Close inspection shows that the base line for this drawing is at the top and waterlines increase as you go down.   Other designs of Phil's work the other way, the base line is at the bottom and waterlines increase as you go up the drawing.  I wonder what this means, if anything.  Maybe it was just easier to draw it that way.

      > Vincent,
      > If you aren't aware of it, Ladyslipper is described in Bolger's
      > Different Boats, including a photo. Used copies are starting about
      > $75 now. You can probably have it in a matter of days through
      > interlibrary loan.
      > I don't know what you meant by "the pic on PB&F." People have been
      > calling for an official PB&F website for years to no avail. Mr.
      > Hallman's isometric compilation is the closest so far, but a
      > Ladyslipper model is not included there either yet.
      > Mark
      > On Apr 6, 2013, at 9:45 PM, vincent wrote:
      > > I searched this site and found a short discussion about this vessel
      > > but no pictures. it's such an elusive vessel. the pic on PB&F is of
      > > the wrong boat.
      > >
      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "vincent" motorcyclejack2@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > hi all. I am new here. I have searched the web over and I can't
      > > find one picture or drawing of mr Bolger's lady slipper. I was
      > > referred to it, recently, and would love to see one. I am
      > > particularly interested in the keel. thanks.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic