      From: "John Trussell" <jtrussell2@...>
      To: <bolger@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [bolger] Sweet Pea - Self rescue?
      Date: Wed, Mar 27, 2013 12:40 PM

      It’s been many years, but my Sweet Pea was built with the area under the end decks filled with foam (multiple layers of standard construction insulation cut to fit). I do not recall if this is included in the plans or was something I did on my own. I never tried stand up rowing. My recollection is that Sweet Pea had great reserve stability and I think that if you fell out of it, the boat would not capsize. For what it is worth, I think that the “slipping keel is overly complicated. I built mine with a fixed keel which wasn’t very effective and probably degraded rowing. If I were doing it again, I would build Sweet Pea as a pure rowing boat and forget about sailing.

      JohnT