69398Re: Center of Effort - Balanced Lug

  • sweetthug
    Mar 1, 2013
      I agree with you Mason, that rule of thumb for the centerboard location must just be a useful approximation. In a sense, the boat is pulled along somewhat by the sheet, but I still think for the example I gave of an unstayed balanced lug, the only points where the sail is attached to the boat is the mast and the sheet. With sheet tension on the balanced lug being relatively low (due to the boom being somewhat forward of the mast), Newton would say that the tension on the sheet (before running through any blocks or anything) would be equal to the proportion of the force which is pulling the boat from the sheet/boat connection. So the rest of the torque applied by the sail will be applied to the mast. That's why I was asking if the CE location (on the lateral plane) could be approximated just behind the mast.
      Suzanne, I'm not sure why you said i'm making assumptions about the underwater profile? I was basically trying to focus on what's above the water. I suppose windage on the hull would move the CE slightly as heeling angles change, but i'm still a little confused with your response. Sorry

      Suhitha

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mason Smith" <goodboat@...> wrote:

      > I've always figures Center of Effort as center of area in sail-plan view was
      > just a natural convenient useful fiction. A more "real" center of effort of
      > a sail might be the effective center of the pressure-differential between
      > windward and leeward sides of the sail, the point from which you could draw
      > a force vector that accurately represented the lift on that sail at the
      > moment.
      >
      > But I have been truly confused about where and how that lift is transferred
      > to the hull. Phil sometimes talks about a boat being pulled along by its
      > sheet. And if you look at the mast hoops which might be thought to be
      > applying the sail's force to the mast, they're pulling in the wrong
      > direction. So I have come to simplify all that stuff, sheets, shrouds,
      > hoops, and so on by considering the hull with its spars and sails, moment by
      > moment, as a rigid unit, so that all I care about is the vector mentioned
      > above, and how much of it can be induced to serve the interests of forward
      > movement.
      >

      > The rules of thumb for location of a centerboard always make nonsense of CE,
      > do they not? If CE meant what it says, it would obvious how to get a slight
      > weather helm, or a balanced one.
      >

      > Cruzer's many links re lugs were a terrific gift to us all! What fun to
      > follow them. Great to learn why the dipping lug, tacked by wearing, with the
      > whole shooting match going around forward of the mast and so never getting
      > in the way of the work aboard, made such good sense! What a scholar we have
      > among us.
      >

      > Was it Marcaj who did test several kinds of simple single sail, of the same
      > area, on the same hull, on all points of sail, and who came up showing that
      > the best overall was the crab-claw, second best standing lug, third
      > spritsail, and so on? One value of that study for me was the testing all
      > around the compass. That's the way we actually sail, or I do.
      >

      > ---Mason

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic