      From: bolger@yahoogroups.com [mailto:bolger@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of John Trussell
      Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:56 PM
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [bolger] Center of Effort - Balanced Lug

      A basic rule of scientific inquiry is to limit the number of variables in the experiment. Alas, sail boats don’t work like that. If a sail boat is upright, it is reasonable to assume that it will go straight and it is easy to calculate the area/centers of underwater foils. But as the boat heels, the hull shape becomes asymmetrical (tending to turn it) and the foils lose area and efficiency. Sails are even worse. So long as they are sheeted close to the center line (where they don’t work), the center of effort is probably pretty close to the geometric center of sail area. As the sail goes out, the location of center of effort probably moves quite some distance from the geometric center of area. To further complicate the issue, add multiple sails and/or multiple masts. For an extreme example of possible variables, see what happens when you sail a Cape Cod Catboat off the wind in a rising wind (hint, it helps to have a gorilla on the tiller—a spare tiller might also be useful).

      Possibly a computer could factor in the effect of many variables. I’m not that smart and my approach is to copy what demonstrably works. I figure that generation of sailors before me have learned what does and doesn’t work and I have no urge to reinvent the wheel (or, to keep metaphors straight, reinvent the sail).