69391RE: [bolger] Re: Oldshoe / Japanese beach cruiser

  • frank raisin
    Feb 27, 2013
      hi folks,
      just a thought - but i find i have gone off lugs and balanced lugs unless they are easily controlled.  when it all starts getting a bit unsettling, i don't want a loose log up there in the sky banging around wanting to brain me - and another thing with most 'hoist a spar' rigs that ups my anxiety stakes is that as one eases the sheet when hard pressed they tend , instead of relaxing progressively, they can power up even more!  the popular sprit rig seems worst in this regard - like trying to go to windward with a parachute spinnaker, it powers up as you ease the sheet - then dumps the power all at once and flogs - most disconcerting!

      i was brought up on fully battened Bermudan mains - most civilized -  not only did the stress reduce progressively and proportionally as the sheet was eased but the full battens reduced the flogging (but i have experienced a gust so heavy it caused the battened main to flog - and so heavily it pulled me over - .....)

      i think that Phil was sensible to prefer leg o' mutton because they tend to self-tend and progressively feather off at the top.  they are long enough in the foot to have enough power in a simple sail , and the mast , though long, is heavily tapered (theoretically it can taper to nothing - or just enough to tie off to).  in the usual application of minimal sophistication this rig is all round forgiving (IMVHO!) - and the sprit boom further removes the risks of being clubbed

      frank (didn't mean to rant)

      ps just to complete my thesis i would suggest that the Fully Battened Bermudan is the natural fulfillment of the (misguidedly popular IMO) Junk rig.  - just don't use a bolt rope in a track - use slides or lacing so it dowses.

      > To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      > From: alias1719@...
      > Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 21:32:57 +0000
      > Subject: [bolger] Re: Oldshoe / Japanese beach cruiser
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gravelyrider" <denandel01@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > when spring gets to upstate ny i'll let you know how my Oldshoe with lug rig works. the mast is a lot easier to transport than the 19 footer originally planned for.

      > Just wanted to say that the balanced lug rig looks good on the Old Shoe - and is likely just what that boat needs to make it more user friendly. Looking forward to hearing how it works out!
      >
      > Good luck - Dave Gentry

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to: