69385Re: Oldshoe / Japanese beach cruiser

  • gravelyrider
    Feb 26, 2013
      The lug sail is a 74 sq ft, just about the same size as the original LOM.

      The COE is in the same place as the original so I hope there will not be any major issues sailing her. Since the pic was taken, I have adjusted the mast a little more upright. The mizzen is staying.

      See this photo to show the new sail COE lined up over the old COE.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dir_cobb@...> wrote:

      > What size is the balanced lug? Its Coe is a lot further aft than the original. It will be interesting to see how she sails.
      >
      > Do you intend to keep the mizzen?
      >
      > David
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gravelyrider" <denandel01@> wrote:
      > >
      > > when spring gets to upstate ny i'll let you know how my Oldshoe with lug rig works. the mast is a lot easier to transport than the 19 footer originally planned for.

      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dir_cobb@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > 4 years ago I built Oldshoe which has been much enjoyed and well sailed. I am coming round to a major maintenance and wondering whether to order a suit of sails to replace the polytarp ones I have used until now. In all fairness I love the boat and the way it works for what it is.
      > > >
      > > > Sitting in my dreaming chair the other day I was struck yet again when reading BWAOM by the similarity in size and layout between these two designs and started thinking (always dangerous). I first was tempted to take the JBC rig which would be so much easier to transport and rig than Oldshoes. I then went on to notice that JBC does not have the well in the bow and stern, thereby effectively sailing in her full length rather than a 8.5' watertight envelope within a 12' boat. Then, of course the leeboards are great fun and so on and so forth.
      > > >
      > > > Any ideas on how the JBC rig would go with Oldshoe keeping the keel and inboard. Rudder? I don't fancy taking the lead keel off to experiment with leeboards... (At least yet).
      > > >
      > > > David
      > > > Santiago, Chile
      > > > (Studying my AS39 plans)

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic