69382Re: Oldshoe / Japanese beach cruiser

  • prairiedog2332
    Feb 24, 2013
      I often thought a small removable "Birdwatcher" style structure a la SUPERMOUSE  might be a fun thing to try? Probably the same main  as  the MOUSE in order for the foot of the sail to clear the top of it. Easy to experiment with in polytarp. It would extend the sailing season for an OLDSHOE  and offer more weather protection. Often regretted passing on plans.

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dir_cobb@...> wrote:

      > Joe
      >
      > I agree that Oldshoe is "unappreciated".
      >
      > As a day sailer and to send the kids out in their own (properly out of sight) it really takes some beating.
      >
      > I had great fun building and continue to have great fun sailing. I have absolutely no regrets about having built and it has definitely been a lot of fun for the money (both building and sailing). Realistically she is easy to trailer (except the launching on beaches or bad ramps) and a real joy to mess about in. The mast is only a problem for trailering. Stepping it has never been an issue for me.
      >
      > My doubt is whether a it's actually worth having a 12' ballasted boat you have to trailer. For similar trouble and little more investment I could have had a 15 or 20' boat which would be a lot more boat. Storing and upkeep of the 12' is much easier of course.
      >
      > For what she is, I think Oldshoe is fantastic and a tribute to her designer.
      >
      > David.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic