69380Re: Oldshoe / Japanese beach cruiser

  • David
    Feb 23, 2013
      Joe

      I agree that Oldshoe is "unappreciated".

      As a day sailer and to send the kids out in their own (properly out of sight) it really takes some beating.

      I had great fun building and continue to have great fun sailing. I have absolutely no regrets about having built and it has definitely been a lot of fun for the money (both building and sailing). Realistically she is easy to trailer (except the launching on beaches or bad ramps) and a real joy to mess about in. The mast is only a problem for trailering. Stepping it has never been an issue for me.

      My doubt is whether a it's actually worth having a 12' ballasted boat you have to trailer. For similar trouble and little more investment I could have had a 15 or 20' boat which would be a lot more boat. Storing and upkeep of the 12' is much easier of course.

      For what she is, I think Oldshoe is fantastic and a tribute to her designer.

      David.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Joe T" <scsbmsjoe@...> wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" <arvent@> wrote:
      >
      > Very unappreciated design.
      > >
      > If you haven't seen them, Photos of my Oldshoe in Bolger 6:

      > Australian Oldshoe video:
      >
      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwIcfSNEasU
      > >
      > > Nels
      >

      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dir_cobb@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > 4 years ago I built Oldshoe which has been much enjoyed and well
      > > sailed. I am coming round to a major maintenance and wondering whether
      > > to order a suit of sails to replace the polytarp ones I have used until
      > > now. In all fairness I love the boat and the way it works for what it
      > > is.
      > > >

      > > > David
      > > > Santiago, Chile
      > > > (Studying my AS39 plans)