69378Re: Oldshoe / Japanese beach cruiser

  • prairiedog2332
    Feb 22, 2013
      I notice the yard on the JBC is longer than the mast is tall. It would seem to me that the Oldshoe main would be much less awkward to reef if the wind picks up.

      I also think the reefing idea in mesg  #69346 for Long Micro sounds like a great idea. Oldshoe has excellent access to the mast as well  when reefing. Very unappreciated design.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwIcfSNEasU

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dir_cobb@...> wrote:

      > 4 years ago I built Oldshoe which has been much enjoyed and well sailed. I am coming round to a major maintenance and wondering whether to order a suit of sails to replace the polytarp ones I have used until now. In all fairness I love the boat and the way it works for what it is.
      >
      > Sitting in my dreaming chair the other day I was struck yet again when reading BWAOM by the similarity in size and layout between these two designs and started thinking (always dangerous). I first was tempted to take the JBC rig which would be so much easier to transport and rig than Oldshoes. I then went on to notice that JBC does not have the well in the bow and stern, thereby effectively sailing in her full length rather than a 8.5' watertight envelope within a 12' boat. Then, of course the leeboards are great fun and so on and so forth.
      >
      > Any ideas on how the JBC rig would go with Oldshoe keeping the keel and inboard. Rudder? I don't fancy taking the lead keel off to experiment with leeboards... (At least yet).
      >
      > David
      > Santiago, Chile
      > (Studying my AS39 plans)

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic