69236Re: Elco 26 Imitation??

  • Matthew Long
    Jan 20, 2013
      Honestly, Susanne, I would take it as form of flattery. Jim Michalak's designs have long been part of this discussion group--a quick search shows over 2,400 messages mentioning "Michalak" going back to 1999.

      Jim has taken on a few of Phil's many innovations--in this case the developed plywood sheet small boat, the Birdwatcher cabin and a fondness for lug sails--and continued to riff on those chords for quite a few years now, developing a stable of designs to fill a wide range of amateur builder needs. Jim would be the first to admit that he builds on the Bolger/Payson instant boat legacy and, I would add, with a touch of his own creativity.

      I think that most of us consider Jim to be a Bolger "disciple," a tribute to Phil's lasting influence on amateur building and small boat design.

      Cheers from Nairobi,

      Matthew

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

      > I doubt I'll ever get used to folks selling other folks' design-services and designs in this particular forum...
      >
      > Yoh, Schultz, what do you think of the recent installments in MAIB ?
      >
      > Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic